1748216 Members
3402 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Possible??: swappings D270 for D380 guts

Randy_9
Regular Advisor

Possible??: swappings D270 for D380 guts

I've got a D270 whose Memory/CPU card has gone belly up ( CPU fan died, system overheats and dies, lots of noise "I'm dying...." ). I want to swap the guts of a D380( no D380 cabinet ) into the D270 cabinet ( motherboard and memory/CPU card, etc... ). Once I get everything hooked up ( D270 drives to D380 HW ), will the OS have an issue with the D380 HW? Can I expect it to boot up without issue, or will the system say "hey that is not my heart and lungs" bomb out?

Thanks,

Randy
5 REPLIES 5
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I think you've got a fair chance of that working. Years ago when we went from a D380/1 to a D390/2 we did pretty much what you're describing if I remember correctly.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
DCE
Honored Contributor

Randy,

This should work. If I remember correctly I did this several times in the late 90's with no issues.

Dave
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

I tried swapping the innards of a D330 and D390 many moons ago. The OS from the D330 would not boot from the D390 hardware. I had to swap things back the way they were and live with it because I didn't want to mess with reinstalling the OS. It was a "would be nice" change, not a "needs to be done" change. I honestly don't know how close in architecture a D270 is to a D380 so can't say with any certainty the probability of success. It's worth a try, but don't count on things behaving. :)
--
Jeff Traigle
Randy_9
Regular Advisor

John, Jeff, DCE thank you all. I will give it a go and see what happens!. Points assigned, have a great day.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Randy, if it doesn't work straight up - I'd bet that a restore from an ignite tape would work. That is, make your ignite backup tape, upgrade/swap the hardware and restore. I'd think that this method would have a very high chance of success if the other one fails.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett