SOLVED
Go to solution
likid0
Honored Contributor

Question About serial and id(gsp) command in rp8420

Hi,

I have a rp8420 that doesn't have serial info:

[] MP:CM> id

MP modifiable stable complex configuration data fields.
Model String : 9000/800/rp8420
Complex System Name :
Original Product Number:
Current Product Number :
UUID : 0d23e
Creator Manufacturer : hp
Creator Product Name :
Creator Serial Number :
OEM Manufacturer :
OEM Product Name :
OEM Serial Number : DEH4
Diagnostic license : Disabled

We are going to change with HP the serial number, I need to know if we can do this with the servers running, and if it's a harmless command?.

Has anyone been there before?
Windows?, no thanks
7 REPLIES 7
likid0
Honored Contributor

Re: Question About serial and id(gsp) command in rp8420

I have another question to do this same operation on a N4000, you need to use HP SS_update tool?
Windows?, no thanks
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> We are going to change with HP the serial number, I need to know if we can do this with the servers running,

No, the ss_config program must be run at the BCH prompt (interrupt the server during reboot).

> and if it's a harmless command?

Define harmless. If your server has software which is licensed to a specific serial number then changing it to another serial number will stop that software. But in your case, you have replaced a system board which normally comes with an empty serial number.

Because the system serial number is a licensing feature, only HP can run the ss_config tool. You'll have to call HP and arrange a service call to set the correct serial.

> I have another question to do this same operation on a N4000, you need to use HP SS_update tool?

Every HP server (800 series, aka PARISC servers, and all Itanium models) will have a unique serial number. All of them require an HP service call to update the s/n on a replacement system board.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
likid0
Honored Contributor

But Bill, I think on rp7440 and rp8420 you can change the rp's data from the gsp+cm+id, there is no need to reboot and go to the BCH.

take a look:

[] MP:CM> id

Retrieving the stable complex configuration portion of the complex profile.

MP modifiable stable complex configuration data fields.
Model String : 9000/800/rp8420
Complex System Name :
Original Product Number:
Current Product Number :
UUID : 0d23ed55
Creator Manufacturer : hp
Creator Product Name :
Creator Serial Number :
OEM Manufacturer :
OEM Product Name :
OEM Serial Number : DEH4
Diagnostic license : Disabled

Do you want to modify any of this information? (Y/[N]) y

Lockword is: y68b904bb
Enter Password:

By safe I meant, any danger of the npars rebooting, etc...

On the other hand with the N4000, looks like you have to use the bch with the ss_update tool.
Windows?, no thanks
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Daniel,

for cell based systems, you are right. you change the value within the MP with the id command. you will need hp to generate the password for you from the lockword keystring.

this should in my opinion have no impact on the npar's unless you have some apps are locked to the system serial number or possibly the UUID? only you know that.

as for the N4000 this is done as Bill stated, at PDC level with SS_config type tools, again by HP. so the OS will be shutdown, but could still have application issues as mentioned

Andy
likid0
Honored Contributor

Would onlineJFS and mirror-ux be affected for example ?
Windows?, no thanks
likid0
Honored Contributor

Just another couple of questions, when do you loose the serial number?, when a cell board is replaced? or the gsp/mp ? or ..?

If I don't have a serial number, and all the apps are working ok, I understand there is no problem in giving it the serial it had before?
Windows?, no thanks
Marc Morin_2
Advisor

Hi Daniel,

Speaking specifically on the rp8420 issue:

The ID information is stored in many locations within the system and is very rarely lost like what appears to have occured on your system. Perhaps you had a major outage in the past where more then one part was replaced at the same time i.e. System Backplane and MP or parts were moved from one system to another.

Entering the ID information will provide your system with a valid SWID. Third party applications trigger off this SWID for licensing purposes. The SWID will not change until the partition(s) are rebooted. So if you have any 3rd party applications (oracle, SAP) they will most likely not run if you update the ID info and your partitions are rebooted.

As for your current situation; "all my apps are now running", they should continue to be fine because your system currently has an invalid SWID and most likely do not require one. But please confirm before rebooting your partitions! The uname -a command will tell you what your current SWID is. It should be a 9 digit hex number. Yours will most likely match the hostname of the partition(s).

As for dedcoding the lockword you will need to contact HP and a CE will be dispatched to decode and enter the information. Providing a password to non HP support personnel is not allowed... unless you have made special arrangements.

Hope this helps,

Marc Morin
WTEC Enterprise Server Support