5021 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP4440 - Two questions related to internal disk & scsi bus

Jay Duncan_1
Occasional Contributor

RP4440 - Two questions related to internal disk & scsi bus

RP4440, 2 x 36GB internal disk, 11.23
I installed the "duplex" cable from the dual port pci card to the internal disk/scsi reinstalled 11.23 from an ignite tape and when i do a "vgdisplay -v vg00" i don't see a "primary" and "alternate" path although "autoswitchon" is set. ioscan shows both disks, one on 1/1/0 and the other on /1/1/1. The disks are mirrored.

Also, the dat tape that is connected from the external port of that same pci dual port scsi card is on /1/1/1 with the one disk.

Question 1: should i see a primary and alternate path for the disk or is what i'm seeing normal?

Question 2: I want to swap out the tape "enclosure" and tape drive;is it safe to do this with the system up? The tape drive is "hot-swappable" but is the enclosure?

TIA
2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You will see primary or alternate pathes only if you have 2 pathes to a device.
In your case each internal disk is connected to its own bus, so there is only one path to each drive - no alternate. But this is pretty fine.

If you use both SCSI channels of this card for the internal disks, you are not allowed to connect an external device to the same card. It is safe to shutdown the server and disconnect the cable. Doing this with power on may harm your machine.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Prashanth.D.S
Honored Contributor

Hi Jay,

1. You are observing a normal behaviour..in duplex mode each bus of the pci card will own a single disk and hence you are viewing two diff hardware paths.

2.I dont think you can connect a tape drive or any other device to the slot of the same scsi card as it is already occupied by a HDD & will not be compatible.

Best Regards,
Prashanth