1752754 Members
4799 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp4440 won't power on

bagek
Frequent Advisor

rp4440 won't power on

I have a spare rp4440 that has not been powered on for a few months. When I try to power it up there are no front panel lights. The power supplies power light flashes green. I tried unloading all the I/O cards and drives. Any ideas? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: rp4440 won't power on

As long as the chassis is receiving power, the Management Processor should be alive even if the main server is powered off.

Plug in a console, press Control-B and see if it responds. If the MP works, check its logs.

MK
bagek
Frequent Advisor

I was able to interact with the MP. when I checked the event logs it showed 70 errors all BMC Type 2 Encode field 0x204e9db3d302 all on Oct 16 2011. probably the last time we powered on. I tried various CM commands without success. PE, PC, PS. Is there a way to decode these errors? thanks.

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

can you paste/attach the SEL & FPL logs here?

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> Is there a way to decode these errors?

By default, the log viewer displays the logs in Keyword Mode, which is compact and probably very useful for HP Engineers. But for you and me, the Text Mode might be more informative.

From the MP main menu, enter SL to show logs, E for error log, then T for Text Mode, then press Enter to start viewing the logs.

If you are using a PC as a terminal, the terminal emulator program is likely to have an option to log all session output to file: you could enable that option, then view the logs in text mode, then attach the resulting file to this thread. If you are connecting to the MP from a Linux/Unix system, the "script" command could be used for the same purpose (see "man script").

MK
bagek
Frequent Advisor

where are these logs? thanks

bagek
Frequent Advisor

I checked these logs and all point to Oct 18 2011. Most say AC POWER LOST. There is nothing since. It acts like there is not the proper voltage. I remember once a few years ago we mistakenly applied 120V instead of 220V and it looked like this. I have confirmed the correct power. Could there be an interlock? I don't think I need the cover on. Am I missing something simple? Thanks.

S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi ,

Did u see any indication or LED status in QuickFind Diagnostic Panel LEDs.

The QuickFind diagnostic panel is located under the top cover and is attached to the top of the power supply
cage.

Or, What is the status in VDP (Virtual Dignostic Panel)

MP>CM>VDP

HTH,

Surendar

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi ,

QFD details for Power Supply:

Check Power Supply : One of the power supplies or power supply fans have failedтАФreplace the power supply.
                                        The faulty power supply LED (located on Power supply) will be lit.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]