HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753900 Members
7308 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7405 connected to a terminal server

rp7405 connected to a terminal server

I have an rp7404 that is connected to a terminal server via the console port on the pig tail cable that works fine. I connected a rp7405 system to the same connection and it dosen't work.

Does someone have any idea why a known good terminal server connection (works on the rp7404) does not work on the rp7405?
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

Well...the rp7405 is a cell based system & as such could have multiple MP cards (equiv to the GSP on an rp7400). So verify that you're connected to the proper MP card - i.e. IF you have just a single nPar, then you need to be on the MP 0 card if the server has 2 MPs.

Try hooking up a standard console & make sure the MP is responding to it & when it does, I suspect it'll respond to the term server.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!

Sorry, I forgot to say that a console does work on the rp7405 console port just not when I connect it to the terminal server. It's weird!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

OK - then I suspect the port on the TS probably locked up / is locking up.
What kind of TS are you using?
A Cisco 25XX or 38XX?

Does it work again when you put it *back* on the rp7400?

Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!

I did have the TS reset when I connected it to the rp7405 but it still didn't work. When I switched it back to the other system no reset was needed and it worked ok.

Actually it's a L3000 that has the local serial console port connected
to a terminal server which works great. I'm trying to connect an rp7405 to the terminal server using the same TS connection, cable and W-cable as the L3000 but can├в t seem to get it to work. There must be something different with the way that the rp7405 serial port is setup. When connected to a dumb terminal the rp7405 console serial port works fine so that isn't the issue.

The /etc/getttdefs console configuration
is the same on both servers and all GSP ├в CA├в parameters are the same except
for the terminal type on the rp7405 which I├в ve been told is auto-configuring.

Any help would be greatly appreci