1753274 Members
4925 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp7410 hardware partition

Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

rp7410 hardware partition

If I have 2 hardware partitions and I want more PCI slots on one side than the other can I do this through the hardware partition configuration or are they tied to the core I/O card not allowing me to asymetrically configure the PCI slots???
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: rp7410 hardware partition

Yep, Npars will limit you to the core I/O cards which essentially are limited to their respective busses.
I *think* you could divide them asymetrically with Vpars, though - but am not 100% sure on that.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think Jeff is right, vpars would be a way to do it, however, the question is: would you really want to do that, because then you would not have the ability to take one partition completely down and switch of power for HW maintenance. The power-off is tied to the cells.

If you desperately need more slots, another option would be using multiple-port cards. However, here choices are limited regarding Gbit-Ethernet and FibreChannel...

Regards,
Bernhard
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you cannot assign single I/O slots to hard partitions. Each "I/O Chassis" (one half of the I/O bay in the rp7410) is connected to only one Cellboard. The Cellboard, including the whole I/O Chassis, is then assigned to a partition.
A more flexible way of partitioning a system (but of cause less reliable) is virtual partitioning. There, you can assigne single PCI slots to virtual partitions. The OS in the virtual partitions run independently, but in contrast to hard partitions, a hardware crash will affect all virtual partitions.

For more details see:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/T1335-90001.pdf
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/T1335-90008.pdf

Best regards

Stefan