5510 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP7410 Ready to boot/Boot is blocked

Craig Stephens
Advisor

RP7410 Ready to boot/Boot is blocked

Hi

I have a RP7410 which will not boot up. When I check the VFP I see the following message.

Cell State Activity
---------- ---------
Ready to boot/Boot is blocked Cell firmware

I've tried booting the server using the BO command MP:CM> menu but it still doesnot boot.

I have attached a bitmap image of the console if that helps

Any ideas?
Craig
10 REPLIES 10
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

There is an outstanding reconfiguration on this cell.

Probably some hardware has been assigned or firmware has been updated.

Bad news:
As far as I can tell, this vpar (it is a vpar, isn't it?) won't boot until all others have been brought down, too.

I hope someone more experienced on this can give You some more information on the issue.

(I can only say: "Oh, the wonders of consolidation!")
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Craig Stephens
Advisor

Hi Florian

Thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% with the RP7410 technology, so forgive any errors.

The server has only one partition.

I have ran the PS command from commands menu and when I looked at the cell status I have noticed the following messages.

HW Status for cell 1: FAILURE DETECTED
and then
Core cell is INVALID.

I have checked through what seems like all of the commands avaliable through the MP menus but dont seem to find what the problem can be.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Oups. This doesn't sound good, but I also don't really know which way to search and solve.

I'll let the administrators move the thread to the servers->9000 section, for there's a higher chance for someone hardware-savvy to look at it.

in the meantime,
MP> SL and then look through all the logs.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I've seen where a failure in the system can set this state (power supply outage on an I/O cage can do it) and, although a "toc" (soft reboot) should clear it, it cannot - even with multiple reboot attempts. This can be cleared with a cold boot. Power down the unit instead of just rebooting (if you've not down so already). If this is the bug you're faced with - this is supposed to be getting fixed by HP engineering soon.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Craig Stephens
Advisor

Thanks John.

The most annoying thing is that this machine needs to have a new OS installed and if there was a drastic way of getting past this boot is blocked thing then I'd do it!!

Also, I cant get to the BCH menu, so I cant run the COC command should that be of any use!
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Craig,

The key to your problem will be in the MP logs. Check the FPL and SL logs and post them if possible.

I have seen this problem in an rp8400. The VFP message simply means that 1 or more component to boot the OS is missing.

This component can be your root disk, I/O power module (bricks), The I/O card cage or the back plane. Check them in that order. Since you are getting to the BCH, search for the disks visible from it.

If your root disk is not visible, replace it. You mentioned that "BO" command does not boot. What is the error you received?

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Craig Stephens
Advisor

thanks for your help guys. I've checked the chassis logs and found IO_LBA_PCI_LATCH_OPEN_ERR and MEM_NOT_SYSTEM_DIMM messages.

If anyone can assist further I would be most grateful.

Regards
Craig
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Craig,

The firt message is to do with your I/O card latch kept open. This is a blue latch for each I/O cards which prevents the card from coming up, out of the slot.

This latch is kept in open position for a card slot. Identify this by performing a visual inspection. The culprit may be the recent addition.

MEM_NOT_SYSTEM_DIMM may be because of the wrong type of memory. I am not too sure about this.

Your logs have a strange date. Are you sure the logs are for the current date? Try reseating the memory.

Also, use the "text" mode viewing to get more understandable messages for each log.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Hi Craig ,

It seems its hardware problem. And seems one of the cellboard might failed , and needs replacement , try logging a hw call.

Cheers,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "