HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753383 Members
6014 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp8400: Possible to Do On-line Memory Addition?

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

rp8400: Possible to Do On-line Memory Addition?

This is a vPar'ed system.. and we still have a few dimm slots left.. Can we do OLA/R addition of memory on this box? Server is (of course runing 11i) and has the latest and greates F/W...
Hakuna Matata.
6 REPLIES 6
Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Yep.. but not memory?
Hakuna Matata.
T. M. Louah
Esteemed Contributor

The vpars are built on an nPar and the nPar has to be shut down to change the dimms on the cell. So No OLA/R for memory .. sorry.
Little learning is dangerous!
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

Nelson,

When I go to docs.hp.com and do a query for Olar and memory I come up with nothing... except the following.

Most of the responses are for cards of some type mainly NIC cards or I/O adapters...

As I read about rad and OLAR, I notice that it only refers to those hardware components that have a H/W path... Ie disks, i/o and hbas and the like.

Memory is not one that is included in OLAR...

If you run a rad -q it will give you a listing of all Olar capable slots on your box... and memory does not show up there.
Unix, the other white meat.
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Hi Nelson:

I found this link:

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/T1335-90001/T1335-90001_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/T1335-90001/00/00/32-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/T1335-90001/00/00/32-toc.html&searchterms=vpar&queryid=20040113-112030

It states:

Product Features

A single L3000 or N-class computer can be divided into multiple virtual partitions.

Each virtual partition runs its own instance of HP-UX. Thus, different applications or multiple instances of the same application can run in different partitions on the same computer at the same time without conflicts.

Each virtual partition is assigned its own resources (CPU, memory, and I/O), so there are no resource conflicts between virtual partitions.

Virtual partitions can be on different operating system releases and patch levels.

Virtual partitions can be individually reconfigured and rebooted (for patches and other changes that require a reboot).

Users on one partition cannot access files or file systems on other partitions (unless the file systems are NFS-mounted or access is otherwise given through networking). Further, users configured on one partition does not imply a presence on any other partition.

Software-related kernel panics1, resource exhaustion failures, and subsequent reboots in one virtual partition do not affect any other virtual partition.

CPUs can be added to or removed from a virtual partition without rebooting.

=============
So only CPU's can be added/removed online No memory i an afraid..

Gideon
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Nelson,

Since the memory in an rp8400 is on the cell board, and thus inaccessable without removing the cell board, you will have to power down the cell on which the memory is to be added. The warning on the side says that the cell must be powered down before removal, otherwise an electrical arc will be caused, resulting in damage to the system.

So, it's physically impossible to add/replace memory while online.
What are the chances...