Did you mean: 

rp8420 Expansion Chassis Question(s)...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Super Advisor

rp8420 Expansion Chassis Question(s)...

ALL:

I have an 8420 w/an attached expansion cabinet. The cabinet is currently not powered up (this is something I've inherited and so there's not an awful lot of info I can provide as to why).

The 8420 has two Npars (0 & 1). Npar1 has 3 Vpars running in it. Both Npars contains two cell boards... one core capable and one that is not. Assuming it's simply a matter of powering up the expansion chassis, the question is whether or not it would disrupt either of the Npars or the Vpars associated w/Npar1? Apparently, the reason for powering up this chassis now is that "we" finally want to take advantage of the Ultra-SCSI cards in this chassis and use them for one or more of the Vpars in Npar1.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

JM
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: rp8420 Expansion Chassis Question(s)...

Hi Joe,

you didn't respond to your firmware question. All question answered now?

Please don't say just "my 8420", the prefix (rp/rx) makes it different.

Powering up the SEU (server expansion unit) have an impact to your system.

Don't know if this is affecting your running partitions. But a vpar has to be down to be modified I/O matters.

You have to add it to the npar prior to add it to a vpar.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Solution

Joe,
Here's the installation guide:
http://docs.hp.com/en/A6434-96014/A6434-96014.pdf

and here's the users guide:
http://docs.hp.com/en/A6434-96013/A6434-96013.pdf

Hope it helps!

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Highlighted
Super Advisor

First, I beleieve I closed the firmware thread and assigned points. Beyond that, I didn't think a response was necessary as I usually respond only if something isn't absolutely clear to me.

As to my reference to the "8420", an astute responder would note that the TITLE did say RP, so I didn't think it absolutely necessary to continue the ABSOLUTE, rather than RELATIVE, reference all the way thru the text.

As to the reply for this question, I assumed that that's what the response would be. Most often, when I ask questions such as this, it's not simply for my own personal information... it's also nice to have someone else on the forum "reflect" what I have already told my own management. I do tend to pass these responses on to them as well.

Thanks to all who answered this forum question. The comments and links were extremely helpful.

JM
Highlighted
Super Advisor

Thanks all for the quick responses!

JM