1753424 Members
4791 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RP8420 terminal settings in MP

david d_2
Frequent Advisor

RP8420 terminal settings in MP

Can anyone tell me how to change the terminal settings in the GSP/MP for an RP8420. I need to change from HPterm to VT100. I tried using CA to no avail. It no longer provides me with the option to modify the terminal settings.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks,
Dave
8 REPLIES 8
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Re: RP8420 terminal settings in MP

Hi Dave,

Did you partition your RP8420?

If yes you will first have to selact a partition.

http://docs.hp.com/en/A6912-96024-en/index.html

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Marc Morin_2
Advisor

Hi Dave.

The MP provides the partitions' consoles, mirroring them to the MP local, remote/modem, and LAN ports. Each console output stream is reflected to all of the users who have connected to that partition. If several different terminal types are used simultaneously by the users,
some may see strange results.

Applications which care about the terminal type (install, SAM, vi, etc.)
running on HP-UX can use two methods to determine the terminal type:
1) The $TERM shell environment variable
2) The application directly queries the terminal (in this case, the terminal who has write permission to the console during the query will establish the terminal type.)

Do not mix HP and vt100 terminal types on any given console at the same time.

RECOMMENDATION: Make sure you are the only person logged into the MP and/or into the partition you need to manage from the MP. Logout any active console sessions. Use the MP:CM> WHO command to see if anyone else may be logged into the MP. If there is, you can use the MP:CM> DI command to disconnect other active users. Log back into the MP with your terminal emulator set to vt100.

Hope this helps.

MM

david d_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the input so far. This is a new system with only 1 partition at this time. I am booting off the install media and the UI requires the terminal settings to match to prevent a garbled screen. The console I am using is set to vt100 but the MP/GSP is set to HPterm. The older systems use to allow me to use the CA command to change the setting from HPterm to VT100. For some reason that option is no longer available within the CA command.

Not sure where to turn here
Marc Morin_2
Advisor

Dave,

The MP on the 8420/7420 should automatically detect the term type you are using.

How are you determining the terminal type the MP has selected?

If this is possible, does the install function if you set emulator to HPTERM?

What are you trying to install from? There was a problem with older install media where the UI would not function prperly when using vt100 emulation. If the install media is old this may be the reason for the problems you are seeing.

Basically if you logged into the MP with vt100 emulation then this is what it should be emulating.

MM

david d_2
Frequent Advisor

Marc, I wasn't aware that it automatically determined the right setting. That would explain why CA no longer has the option to change it. The 11i media I am using is a couple years old, that might explain it. I am going to try using reflection 1 to emulate the HP setting.

Thanks again for your help
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Actually, the MP has been completely redesigned for the new boxes (rp8400, rp8420 ...). There have been so many complaints about the GSP code misrepresenting the attached terminals that the MP has dropped the hardcoded ID.

Here's what exists for GSP's: Although the GSP is a simple ASCII interface and really doesn't need any special terminal escape sequences, the early writers decided to hardcode the terminal type (vt100 or hpterm). And to make things really bad, the code for ttytype and tset was modified to disable terminal identification and instead return the hardcoded setting in the GSP. As you might expect, this makes the console ill-suited for multiple sysadmins with varied terminal emulators. So the HP-UX feature ttytype cannot not determine the terminal automatically for the console. The worst mistake in profiles is to hardcode TERM=something.

The new MP code is a welcome relief for multi-terminal users. For HP terminals, the freeware QCterm is the finest HP emulator for the money and now includes SSH. Otherwise, Reflection for HP (*not* Reflection/X) is the most powerful emulator.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

1.Set the Console settings as per the following documents:-

http://h41302.www4.hp.com/km/saw/view.do?docId=emr_na-c01016466-2&title=Console+output+selection.+Setup+Serial+or+VGA%2020:35

and also on Page 58 in the following Doc:-

http://docs.hp.com/en/AB430-96005/AB430-96005.pdf for rx1620

2.For rx4640 use the following document please- Page 187

http://docs.hp.com/en/A6961-96013/A6961-96013.pdf

david d_2
Frequent Advisor

All set thanks for your help. I ended up using reflection X