1748169 Members
4148 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server starting problem (HP -K360)

suresh_29

Server starting problem (HP -K360)

Hi Everybody
I am facing typical problem on my server. When i came office at morning, my server is hanged including console. I am unable to understand what is happen. When i try to reboot it, on server screen (Which is placed in turn of/on Key) displays "PROCEEDING TO TURN ON DC" & unable to proceed to next step.

Regards,
Suresh Paruchuri
7 REPLIES 7
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Server starting problem (HP -K360)

Hi Suresh,

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000071548775

Document description: System hangs at 'proceeding to turn dc on'
Document id: KBCA00000558

Log a hardware call with HP support.

Kind regards,
Robert-Jan
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Hi, Suresh. There's good and bad news here.

The bad news is, it is pretty clear that something is broke, in a major way. This will probably take a service call from HP (if on maintenance), or some major scrambling by you or your service staff to figure something out and acquire spares, if not on maintenance.

The good news is, you have a hard failure that should be quite easy to troubleshoot, eliminating the intermittant hangs or panics that have plagued many of us for months.

Do you have any other K-class servers that you can, even temporarily, power down and back up? The reason I ask is, there is a hard and fast sequence of power up messages and self tests that go on once you switch the key to 'run'. I don't have them memorized, but I've seen them enough times to know sort of how it goes. It would help if you could see it on a working model, then go to the failing unit and observe it.

From your description, however, you aren't even getting to first base. You probably aren't seeing any self-tests (4 hex codes changing in the display), right? Just the message about the DC power?

Then you probably have a failed power supply. Unfortunately, there are things that could be preventing the P/S from powering up, so the P/S is not for certain.

If you have an HP maintenance contract, just call them at once, 800-366-3600. If you don't, and you don't have expertise with the hardware, you might want to have them come out on a T&M basis. Same 800 number.

Best Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Um, the 800 number is for US/North America. I don't know contact info for other regions.

--bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

The 800 has numbers transposed.
It should read: 800-633-3600
"Downtime is a Crime."
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

How long have you waited for it while it was sitting at PROCEEDING TO TURN ON DC ?

You probably need to replace the power monitor or the power supply if it hangs there longer than 15 minutes. sometimes if you wait a while it will go beyond that step.

Josh
What are the chances...
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

I had a similar situation once and i ended up replacing the back plane and the power board.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Cheryl, it was late. Yeah, late. That's what it was... 8^)