New Discussion юеВ

Re: Superdome upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrice Le Guyader
Respected Contributor

Superdome upgrade

Hello,

We're going to upgrade two SD16 with PA8750 to PA8900. I would like to know why changing the SMS ? It's a RP2470 and why do we need to get another ? I don't understand why we should put an itanium box in place, except for commercials reasons...

Regards
Patrice
Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement.
7 REPLIES 7
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Peace and clean air.

We underwent a similar upgrade -SD16 (PA8700) to SD32A (PA8800) and we never replaced the SMS rp2470.

It should not be replaced as far as I know.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Patrice Le Guyader
Respected Contributor

hello,

Thanks.I wonder if it's the same thing for PA8900. On PA8750 and PA8800, the only thing the SMS had been using for is downloading firmwares so is there another utility now ?

Regards.
Patrice
Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Yes.. should be no different. PA8900 is just a slightly souped up version of PA8800.

Unless that old rp2470 is problematic - it should remain. No need to "upgrade" or replace it specially if its a couple of hundred Euros/Pesos/Dollares that you will spend for a useless upgrade..
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I agree with Nelson. SMS is unchanged for upgrade of SD.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SMS is nothing to do with the CPU model/type. It is for the management of the SD and upgrage of the CPUs DOES NOT require the SMS upgrade.

Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Patrice,

As far as the upgrade you mentioned is concerned, there is no need to replace the existing SMS. The current SMS (rp2470) would be upgraded with new SMS s/w,tools but h/w & OS remains the same. You have an option to go for "NEW" SMS which are Windows based and HP-UX 11iv2 rx2600 based.
The option is given as a part HP's smooth transition process from PA-RISC to Itanium based Superdome.

PA8900 processor is the last processor in the PA-RISC roadmap. The upgrade being done in your case is making the legacy Superdome (SD16,SD32 etc) to new HP 9000 Superdome. This upgrade would enable mixing the PA-RISC with Itanium and evantually transition to the completly Itanium based Integrity Superdome in future.
Secondly with the upgrade customer can go for HPUX 11iv2 as well if he wants to.

With above transition, SMS would become "NEW SMS" eventually as well.
Patrice Le Guyader
Respected Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your help. it is what I thought. What is a pity is that our HP interlocutor on this operation doesn't tell us this. He just tell us you must do it, that's all.

Best regards
Pat