108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System Crash Error when trying to load OS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alexander Laing
Advisor

System Crash Error when trying to load OS

I have a rp3440 server. I am trying to load HPUX 11.11 on the server. I enter the boot selection menu and choose to boot from the DVD drive where the installation disk for HPUX is. Each time the server tries to boot from the DVD it reports a System Panic and System Crash.

(The attached file shows the log of this crash from the system console).

What is interesting is that this server already has HPUX 11.11 installed on it. When I boot the normal way from the primary disk with the existing HPUX installation the system boots fine with no problems.

It is only when I boot from the DVD drive with the HPUX installation disk that I get the system crash error.

Any ideas as to why it only happens when trying to run the install.?
3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: System Crash Error when trying to load OS

hi,

Whats the date code of the HPUX dvd/cd?

Is it the one that came with the server or is it an older one or a copied one?

Earlier cd's may not have the support for the newer hardware. This is one of the most common issues like you have

When you boot the original hpux install, can you them mount the cd/dvd and read the contents in HPUX? just to confirm the drive and media are good

Andy
Alexander Laing
Advisor

Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did boot into the OS and was able to mount and read the CD in the drive.

I did find that the version of the HP-UX install disk was December 2002. This version was too old for the rp3440. The rp3440 requires that the HP-UX 11.11 revision be at least March 2004.

Thanks.
Alexander Laing
Advisor

The solution found is in line with the suggestion posted by Andrew