1751936 Members
5005 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: temperatue and humidity N class

doug mielke
Respected Contributor

temperatue and humidity N class

I'm having some HVAC work done in our computer room, and I now have the chance to dictate what I need my temperature and humitity limits.

I just read some site prep doc, and the ranges are very wide. I've always kept temps kind of on the low side, 65F, and see in the doc. that is too low, (68F recommended).
My question:
What temps and humid. numbers are in your computer rooms?
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

We typically run somewhere around 72-74 degrees and 45% humidity. It varies some from summer to winter, mostly because our AC is an antique Liebart that we hope to replace this year.

Pete

Pete
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi Doug,

maybe it can be useful:

Temperature:

- Up to 29 C works the N- or L-class 'normal'.
- At 30C generates the power monitor an interrupt for the envd (over temp low).
- At 35C performs the power monitor the next interrupt (over temp mid).

Of course temperature above is in Celsius degrees.

Also: man envd.

Best regards,
Ettore
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I run 68F at 40% humidity year-round. Of course, actual temperatures inside the boxes themselves will vary. I am past 4.5 years with zero unplanned production downtime so I don't think I'll change.

However, my basic rule of thumb is "If I'm happy, the 'puters are happy."
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

68 degrees 40/45% works for me.

Had an AC failure last year, took me 10 mins to get there and in that time temp had hit 45 degrees celcius. All the N Classes had said " you want me to work in this temperature - I Dont Think so" and had shut down.

Failure had turned out to be mains failure and generator had failed to cut in.

So dont forget your testing should include everything.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Almost every big computer room is run too cold (below 70 deg F or 21 deg C). Computers, disks, tape drives, etc are perfectly happy at human temps, about 70-74 deg F. The key is that the equipment has unrestricted airflow (of that temperature) on the inlet and has no obstructions for the exhaust air.

Heat is the ENEMY of reliability for computers! Only the newest HP computers will shutdown to prevent meltdown, but your poor disks and tape drives will be destroyed if the temperature rises above 115-125 deg F (46-51 deg C). Be sure that you have SEVERAL controls to limit temperature including a simple temperture sensitive circuit breaker to disconnect all power in the room when the temp goes above 115 deg (46 deg C).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin