1748211 Members
4933 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Temperature Threshold for an old model

Tong JL

Temperature Threshold for an old model

Hi all,

I have a HP9000 800/G60 server running HP-UX 10.20. Recently, I experienced a temperature threshold exceeded limit when my server room aircon unit malfunction (and also one of the fan malfunction at the same time too) and the server shutdown by itself.

Does anyone know what is the temprature threshold for this particular model of server for the server to shutdown? And what is the recommended temperature for the room where the server resides?

Thank you. Greatly appreciate any help.
2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Temperature Threshold for an old model

I don't have an exact reference but I'm sure the shutdown temperature is about 100 to 105 def F (37-40 deg C). NOTE: Anything higher than 90 is too hot. The computer prevented itself from melting but your room was far too hot to run any computer equipment. This failure may have already damaged disks, tape drives, printers, network boxes, and other servers.

DO NOT run any computer room higher than 75 deg F. If the room reaches 80, start shutting off the equipment. If it reaches 90, turn off all power to the entire room (including battery backup units). Now this assumes that you (and your company) values the equipment and cannot tolerate destruction of the computers. You might want to read this item:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1055139

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Tong JL

Re: Temperature Threshold for an old model

Thank you for your kind help. Greatly Appreciated.