3718 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tpmc, spec and linpack figures for PA-RISC and Itanium servers

Vishwanath Ravikumar
Occasional Advisor

tpmc, spec and linpack figures for PA-RISC and Itanium servers

Hi,

We are in the process of considering the RISC and Itanium servers for various requirements.
I would like to know about the tpmc, spec and linpack ratings for PA-RISC and Itanium servers.

I would also like to know how the tpmc figures and other ratings are calculated for the PA-RISC and Itanium servers.

Also I need to know the roadmap of the servers.
We are into consulting and preparing a proposal for a large customer.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Vishwanath,
for tpm ratings I tend to go to:
http://www.abtechsys.com/hp_servers/hp_servers.html

TPM figures are always useful as a yardstick, not exact figures,they depend on a number of parameters including memory.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Unless they are "estimates" SPEC and linpack numbers are probably direct measurements.

While SPEC does not require people to submit numbers to www.spec.org, it is encouraged, so that would be the first place to look for SPEC figures. Otherwise, contacting an HP Sales Rep or Reseller is likely the way to go. SPEC does allow estimates for some of its benchmark suites, but not all, and has guidelines as to how they should be reported. More details about the run and reporting rules for SPEC benchmarks can be found on www.spec.org

TPM-C figures in and of themselves can not be estimated (IIRC). Further, there can be no public discussion (at least by a vendor) of a TPC-C figure that is not published at www.tpc.org. I supsect all the gory run and reporting details for TPC benchmarks can be found at www.tpc.org.

Some vendors have more general "relative performance" figures for systems, based on any number of factors. Contacting a sales rep for those vendors is probably indicated. Perhaps for an NDA presentation.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Vishwanath,
did the supplied answers help answer your question?
Please update.
Vishwanath Ravikumar
Occasional Advisor

I am not sure as to why I am not getting a straightforward answer.
Infact this leads me to think of different other vendors who are straight forward as far as publishing the figures and their calculations are concerned.
So I would need th following:

1) tpmC and spec ratings - alongwith the calculations for both PA-RISC and Itanium servers.

2) How does HP relate their ratings to others?

rick jones
Honored Contributor

The rules about disclosing TPC results are TPC's, you can see them at www.tpc.org. Unless the result is published on www.tpc.org, the rules of the TPC say one cannot discuss it in public forums.

If a vendor is out there quoting unpublished TPC figures outside of a non-disclosure agreement, they are in violation of the rules of the TPC.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows