108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating Superdome Firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Hempstead
Frequent Advisor

Updating Superdome Firmware

We had an Engineer in at the weekend to replace a flaky GSP in our Superdome and afterwards he commented back that the firmware level of our Cells is down and as we are currently in the process of vPar'ing our partitions it would be best to upgrade.

Looking at SYSREV from the GSP our PDC firmware is at 36.1 whilst I think the current release is 36.7. I think that when I looked into this a bit earlier in the year you can run vPar's at 36.1.

My questions are do we have to upgrade this firmware, (with the outage needed to install it) and do people normally upgrade this firmware themselves or do you get an engineer in to do it?
5 REPLIES 5
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

I think that you need HP Sert Engineer.
If you make one mistake your server will not start !!!
Also there many FW on your SD and it must be upgarade in ordered way.

ASK HP FOR THAT
Tim Hempstead
Frequent Advisor

The rest of the firmware, (as listed by a SYSREV from the GSP), is showing as up to date its just the Cell board, (PDC firmware) which is downlevel.

Tim
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

If you have right documents about FW upgrade :) and you are brave you can do it :)
Yes it is good idea that all your cell have same FW revision.
If you ask me ? I will ask for HP SE to do the job :)

Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Tim,

The latest firmware bundle for HP9000 Superdome for HPUX based SMS is PF_CIDOMEH0400.
Be aware that the firmware loading process is different from a traditional Superdome Firmware upgrade.

I wud recommand you call the HP engineer.Still for your information I can explain the FW upgrade process on SDs.

Following are the steps we did for the FWU at our place. we had a processor upgrade from PA8700 to PA8800.

1. The Firmware Update Utility ( fwuu ) installs the MP package.( now there is no GSP with newer systems it changed to MP. Hope you have noticed)

2. The remainder of the firmware packages was loaded using the FW command from the MP Main Menu.PM and CLU packages were loaded while the cell boards are out and then inserted the cell boards.

3. Loaded the MP firmware.

4. Reset the MP.

5. Loaded PM,CLU and ED firmware.

6. Loaded PM and CLU firmware for remaining cabinets.

All firmware images were loaded using the existing HP A-500 SMS. The images must be loaded onto the A-500 using the software installation utility, swinstall.

Wish you all the best.

regards,
Syam
Tim Hempstead
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to you all for your responses. We'll get an Engineer to sort this out for us :)

Tim