New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS failure notification

SOLVED
Go to solution
Duffs
Regular Advisor

UPS failure notification

Hi,

I have a HP 9000 series (rp7410) server which experienced a power failure last night. I have got the following variables configured within the /etc/envd.conf file:
OVERTEMP_CRIT:y
OVERTEMP_EMERG:y
FANFAIL_CRIT:y
FANFAIL_EMERG:y

I have got email and SMS notification on all of these var's however it was the UPS that failed last night and I really need notification when that occurs. I have got the serial cable connected from my server to the back of the UPS but need to know if there are any additional software required or any further var's to configure that I may be unaware of??

Cheers,
D.
5 REPLIES 5
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Dermot,

what kind of ups is connected to the server?

Robert-Jan
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Unless someone explicitly installed the UPS software and configured it, you'll need to do this yourself. The UPS comes with it's own software and there are test messages that you can see once the UPS is configured. The most important is when you test the UPS (either automatically or manually by pulling out the CORRECT plug), you see the entry in syslog and get your email/SMS message.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Hi Dermot ,

You need to have the UPS monitoring software installed and configured to get notification.

For APC ups , there is a software called Powerchute comes along with it, that is a good one , and easy. What ups are u using that depends , and thats sw.

Here is details of Powerchute :
http://www.provantage.com/buy-7ampo187-powerchute-plus-hp-ux-v4-2-3-apc-power-management-accessories-software-hardware-ap9005-shopping.htm

cheers,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi D,

For UPS failure notification, you need additional software for this.

May I know what kind of UPS that connected to your server ?

If the UPS from HP (ex. R3000XR, R6000XR), the software called "HP Power Manager". Usually it's came on CD with the UPS.

For other vendor, you better check with the vendor whether they have the UPS manager software for HP-UX or not.

Hope this information can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Duffs
Regular Advisor

Thanks lads, thats all the info I need to know for this one.
D.