1748079 Members
5270 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: V2500 Teststation Connection Issue

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

V2500 Teststation Connection Issue

For all those old V class folks that may be still around....

I have a V2500 that is having a problem connecting to the teststation/ssp over the private network connecting the two. I do have console access via the teststation and the node boots up pretty much OK. CCMD reports 0 nodes found and I cannot ping the OBP address of the node.

We discovered the problem when trying to reconfigure a bank of memory using 'xconfig'.

Physically the network is good, I think. The biggest telling of a problem is that the tranceivers attached to the node are not getting any power. The tranceiver attached to the workstation is. I swapped them around and the problem stays with the tranceivers attached to the node.

Our first attempt to fix was to replace the ECUB board (along with the power board since we are in there anyway). This did not change the symptoms (although we got the deconfigured memory back!).

I have poured over the diagrams I have and cannot find anyone thing that would affect just the AUI ports on the ECUB. Other than looking at a backplane replacement what other possibilities are there?

I know this is a lot to ask and I have done some of the up front stuff, but figured to give it the old forum try! The server is out of maintenance with HP naturally, but we still use the beast so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
4 REPLIES 4
Eric Capponi

Hi Bob,
Did you ever find a fix for this issue?
Thanks,
Eric
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Actually yes.

Turns out the network hardware was causing a short (somewhere in the coax cabling and transceivers) that kept blowing the AUI port fuse on the ECUB. We replaced all the coax with rj45 and an old 10base hub and was able to repair the fuse on the board.

The key to this was that the transceivers were not getting power at all. That led me to look at what fuses there were on the board.

-Bob
----------------
Eric Capponi

Thanks Bob,
I looked at my board an think I found the fuses, they look like small rectangle pieces of white ceramic. I tested them with a DMM and they seem to be fine. I checked the test points on the board and I have 3v, 5v but no 12v. Is there any configuration required to activate the AUI?
Thanks,
Eric
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I had the same symptoms. You may be missing the fuse in question. I cannot recall which one exactly, but it was near the edge of the board down by the AUI connectors.

-bob
----------------