HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751883 Members
5186 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why do some server go to "service processor" and some to "maintenance processor"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stuart Abramson_2
Honored Contributor

Why do some server go to "service processor" and some to "maintenance processor"

We bought 4 identical rp7410s.

Some boot to "Guardian Service processor" and some to "maintenance processor" (below:)

Why is that?

### Service Processor:

Trying...
Connected to 172.20.201.41.
Escape character is '^]'.
Local flow control off

Service Processor login:
Service Processor password:

Hewlett-Packard Guardian Service Processor

(c) Copyright Hewlett-Packard Company 1999-2001. All Rights Reserved.

9000/800/N4000-44 System Name: acshps03-gsp

### Maintenance Processor:

MP login: Admin
MP password: This guy is also "Admin"

Welcome to the

rp7410 Management Processor

(c) Copyright 1995-2002 Hewlett-Packard Co., All Rights Reserved.

Version 4.09

MP MAIN MENU:

CO: Consoles
VFP: Virtual Front Panel (partition status)
CM: Command Menu
CL: Console Logs

5 REPLIES 5
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Why do some server go to "service processor" and some to "maintenance processor"

I've never seen the maintenance processor, but I don't have anything quite as new as a 7410. Since I *do* know GSP, I'm guessing that MP is newer and that it has to do with the firmware or PDC that's loaded.

Here's a 7410 document that talks about the MP: http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/rackoptimized/rp7410/infolibrary/rp7410_wp.pdf

BUT: I notice that your example above says "N4000" for GSP. Are you sure you don't have some N4000s and some rp7410s? From browsing that document, it doesn't seem to imply there's a GSP at all.

Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Stuart Abramson_2
Honored Contributor

You are absolutely right on the first answer.

I was getting the newer servers confused with the older servers.

Now that I tried them ALL I see that all of the rp7410's go to the MP login.

Thanks for you quick reply on a Saturday.

(Why aren't you out enjoying the day? I HAVE to work, is the only reason I'm here...)
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If I recall correctly the difference has to do with the rp7410's being nPar (hard partition) capable. In order to bring up an nPar you must go to the MP. This is the same on an rp8400 and Superdome machines.

The older machines go to GSP since they are not nPar capable (rp7400, rp54xx, rp24xx, N4000, Lx000, etc.).
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear you're working today! :) I was just waiting for someone to call and signed onto the forums. What a geek...
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Ok - Stuart- Take a DEEP breath & step AWAY from the server!!!
You need to seriously go home & give the wife & kids a BIG hug & kiss.

Your friend,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!