5110 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: brocade 4gbit upgrade to 8gbit..

toregil
Occasional Contributor

brocade 4gbit upgrade to 8gbit..

Hi,

We're planning upgrade of our c-class dual 4gbit brocade san to 8gbit.. Is it possible to hotplug this or do we need to shutdown all servers in c7000 enclosure?

My guess is hot-plug one 4gbit fc switch and plug in 8gbit sw with isl's to se if the paths comes up again, then the other fc switch a day later..

Any help would be helpfull.

Regards, Tor Egil

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

No reason to shutdown the servers, but you need to adjust or re-create the zoning on the new switch.

Additional steps may be needed if you have more than 1 switch in each SAN (take care about the domain ID!).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ivan Lyanguzov
Valued Contributor

Tor,

Despite your hotplug action plan, one of my customers recently had issue when upgrading from pass-through module to 8/24c switches. They ended up with re-seating all blades.

So, I would recommend planning downtime in case hotplug switch replacement will not be hotplug.

Ivan.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Tor, how is your environment? Do you only have these two switches in the c-class or do you have more?
If you have more switches, then less configuration is needed.

toregil
Occasional Contributor

We have two fabrics of brocades like this:

2x 8gbit 40porter samt 1x8gbit c-class 1x4gbit c-class (for upgrade to 8gbit) 2x 4gbit 32porter (migrating away from).

Regards,

Tor Egil

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good, 

I presume upgrading should follow the same steps as for when replacing a broken SAN-switch.

See the 8/24 SAN switch user guide: http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01505736/c01505736.pdf

There is a step by step guide in there.