108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 Fabric 6 switch replacement

SOLVED
Go to solution
Xfulla

MSA 1000 Fabric 6 switch replacement

Hi,

We are in the process of replacing an old MSA Fabric 6 embedded switch (which is no longer supported by HP) with a San Switch 2/8 switch (which IS supported)

We'd like to use the best replacement procedure for not losing our logical drives (about 1.5tb; restoring from backup would be a pain)

Our environment: only one switch (Fabric 6)in the old setup (no redundant path) and one switch (San switch 2/8) in the new setup (no redundant path either)

Behind that switch we have 3 blades with Vmware Vsphere and a windows server for backup, with HP software for ACU, SSP, etc.

MSA1000 best practices ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/msa1000/msa1000bpv42.pdf
clearly state that you can not mix different switches, so installing the new one without releasing the old one does not seem like an option.

The key point here is: If I turn the MSA off, and replace the switch, will I lose all of my logical drives and volumes?

Thanks,
2 REPLIES 2
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSA 1000 Fabric 6 switch replacement

No, the information is on the MSA disks, you can replace the module on the back (there are several options: 2 port hub, 6 port switch, 8 port switch), without any effect on the data.
Xfulla

Re: MSA 1000 Fabric 6 switch replacement

Thanks for your reply. We'll plan a maintenance window next week and replace the switch.