Single pathed server in a dual pathed environment: ACU "Error Detected"

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Single pathed server in a dual pathed environment: ACU "Error Detected"

Kit involved...

MSA1500 cs (2 controllers)
2 x MSA30 disk shelves
2 x Fibre Switches
1 x DL140 single path only (on same switch as active MSA1500 controller)
1 x DL380 dual path with Secure Path installed.

Both servers can see the already configured LUNs on the SAN.
No errors on the MSA controllers or on either server relating to the SAN.
"spmgr display" command on the dual path server shows that there is an active and a redundant path as it should be.
ACU is version 7.80 on both servers, but the single pathed server gets an ACU "Error Detected" error when trying to access the MSA1500 controller.
The other (dual pathed) server is fine (once the 1hr configuration lock has expired!)and access can be acheived to the ACU.

The error on the single path server says something about making sure that the MSA controllers are not either both Active or both passive, that the passive controller had been disabled, check cabling etc...

I have told the customer that they will not be able to use the ACU on the single pathed server because its single path only in an otherwise dual path environment.
Am I correct?
Will I see this type of error?

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
11 REPLIES 11
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Re: Single pathed server in a dual pathed environment: ACU "Error Detected"

Hi Mark,

I believe both the servers should be able to see the Array controllers via ACU, yah but if it is open on one server then you might face issues accessing it from the other one. so make sure when u try accessing ACU from one server it should be closed on the other one. Also you can try reinstalling ACU on the DL140 server or can try ACU CLI. What is status of LUNs on the server, whether the server is able to communicate with the LUNs on the MSA1500??

Andy
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.
The ACU WAS open on both servers at once, but I updated it on both to version 7.80 and waited for the 1hr config lock to expire. I could access the 1500 controller via the dual pathed server, but again got the error on the single path server.

There are only 2 logical drives(LUNs)setup on the SAN at present, but both can be seen and modified from both servers.

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark,

Could you try accessing the ACU CLI from the single path server and check whether is it able to communicate with the MSA1500 controller?

Andy
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hi Andy,

Two problems with this Im afraid...

1. Dont know how to use the CLI, neither does my customer.
2. The kit is at a customer's site

If you could give me some commands to try to prove communication with the 1500, I can email them to my customer.

Thanks again
Mark...

Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Ok mark I can certainly give you the commands no issues with that, but one small query is the DL140 server able to access the LUNs of the MSA1500???

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Ok by saying LUNs, you mean the Logical Drives that have been already setup?
Or not?
Sorry, very new to the SAN game, but been a Proliant engineer for years!

Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

yah mark you are absolutely correct LUNs means logical drives which has been setted up for Dl140, are the luns accessible from the DL140 host??
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Haha thank God for that!
All those years training didnt go to waste after all!

Ok I have previously setup SSP on the MSA1500 controllers so that one of the LUNs is accessible from both servers on the SAN, and the other one is only accessible from the dual path server.

I can confirm that the LUN that is assigned to both servers CAN be seen (and manipulated) in Windows on the single path server.

Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Mark do you have the tech_support output of the MSA1500 if yes could you please attach it, also you can check the ACU CLI whether the controllers are accessible from there or not.

1) Launch ACU CLI which will under programs,
2) run ctrl all show status
3) if you see the 1500 controller then tun ctrl ch="controller name or S/N" show config details.

Andy