1748156 Members
3689 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add B-Series Network Analyzer to HP OneView

T. Cooper
Frequent Advisor

Add B-Series Network Analyzer to HP OneView

Has anyone added the HP B-series network analyzer to HP OneView or the HP FC Switches themselves. I cannot get it to work chosing Brocade or HP.

9 REPLIES 9
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Add B-Series Network Analyzer to HP OneView

You cannot directly add Brocade FC switches to HP OneView.  The Brocade SAN Network Advisory (BNA) utility needs to be configured first.

• Can you please describe how you setup BNA?
  • What version did you install?  Did you install the supported 12.1.4 version?
  • Was BNA installed on a host by itself?  Are there any other services installed on the host?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Cali
Honored Contributor

@chris

Correct me if I'm wrong:

To add Brocade with BNA you have to Install the BNA with SMI-S.

But SMI-S is not included in the free Version of the BNA.

(I have mutilpe Customers with the Free Version.)

OneView does not use the new BNA REST API at the moment. (Why erver?)

This would solve my SMIS problems.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The "free BNA version" is the SMI-S Agent Only installation.  There is no other type of BNA no-cost option.  The SMI-S Agent is the minimum requirement for OneView to provide Brocade SAN Fabric zoning.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

T. Cooper
Frequent Advisor

"Can you please describe how you setup BNA?"

I went through the setup procedure using the defaults and local DB.

"What version did you install?  Did you install the supported 12.1.4 version?"

I have 12.3.4

"Was BNA installed on a host by itself?  Are there any other services installed on the host?"

No, and there are always other services.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

There are a few options to select during installation.  You can choose to install the free SMI-S Agent Only, or a licensed version of BNA.  The SMI-S Agent Only installation entitles only the agent to be used and you cannot use any of the GUI interfaces.  The SMI-S Agent is the only required installation by HP OneView for Brocade SAN Fabric management.

12.3.4 is not a supported version.  Please always review the HP OneView Support Matrix for the intended release you are deploying or using in the Enterprise Information Library.

It is strongly recommended that you do not install BNA on a server or host with other services installed.  BNA can be a significant resource hog, and the SMI-S agent uses the same WMI port as Windows or WMIMapper (which WMIMapper can cause port conflict issues).  We typically recommend a dual-CPU and 32GB of RAM. 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Well I just checked and 12.3.4 is in the current 1.20.05 support matrix

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Ah, the Support Matrix was finally updated to support 12.3.4.  It wasn't prior to the 1.20.05 Patch.

Have you verified that the SMI-S default port (5989) is allowed on the Windows Firewall or Linux IPTables?  If BNA is installed on the same OS as other services, can you move it to another dedicated OS?  In my experience, BNA really needs to be installed on its own VM/system.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Mainecoon
Advisor

Is there any more information available on how to integrate and further setup BNA in combination with Oneview and Brocade. I have BNA installed (SMI Only) and added into OV and add my SAN switches, but what is next? how to further configure test this in combination with a 3PAR.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@MainecoonYou can use the Guided Setup feature within HPE OneView 3.10 or newer, or you can review the HPE OneView Deployment and Management Guide on the Enterprise Information Library (at the very bottom of the link.)

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo