1748200 Members
3893 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: C Class enclosure monitoring unmanaged

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

C Class enclosure monitoring unmanaged

I've discovered several enclosures and all seem to work except one. the State is Unmanaged so no data is displayed. The Enclosure itself seems to be fine when i login to the website. The enclosure was managed by an other Oneview and i had to force the move to the new Oneview. When i refresh the data in Oneview and it tries to connect to the enclosure i get the following event : 

Issue Encountered problem retrieving management information from the Onboard Administrator.

Resolution Retry the request and if the problem persists contact your authorized support representative with a support dump.

I've done a failover on the Onboard admin to reload the Onboard admin. Unfortunately that did not help in corectly identifying the Enclosiure and related content like ILO's, servers and swtiches. If i look at the Log for the active Onboard admin it seems to login to the enclosure :

Oct 10 09:11:14 OA: HPOneViewMonitor logged into the Onboard Administrator from 10.10.10.85
Oct 10 09:11:15 OA: HPOneViewMonitor logged into the Onboard Administrator from 10.10.10.85
Oct 10 09:11:16 OA: HPOneViewMonitor logged into the Onboard Administrator from 10.10.10.85

One blade had an error and thanks to my old HP SIM server in saw the error but as i'm migrating to Oneview i'd like Oneview to see the error here also. The Oanboard Admin firware is of version 4.40 and other Onboard admin's with the same version seem to have no problems in Oneview. Should i try to reflash the Enclosure ? or is there an other option to explore...

When i look at the Onboard admin Oneview seems to be able to login to the enclosure as the user was added and the Signed in Users shows the following :

HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 13m 26s 13m 25s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 13m 27s 13m 26s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 13m 27s 13m 27s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 35m 29s 35m 28s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 35m 29s 35m 29s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 35m 30s 35m 30s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 2h 29m 25s 9m 25s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 3h 25m 47s 3h 25m 47s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 3h 25m 48s 3h 25m 47s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 3h 25m 48s 3h 25m 48s Local Web Active (bay 1)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 13m 25s 13m 25s Local Web Standby (bay 2)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 13m 26s 13m 26s Local Web Standby (bay 2)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 35m 28s 35m 28s Local Web Standby (bay 2)
HPOneViewMonitor 10.10.10.85 35m 29s 35m 28s Local Web Standby (bay 2)

Should i remove the user remove the enclosure in monitored mode and rea-dd it again as it was one in an other Oneview ?

Kind regards,

Andrew
8 REPLIES 8
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Did you accidently enable FIPS mode in the OA and/or iLO's?  You mention that you force added the enclosure to another appliance.  Is the other appliance still running, and does it still have the Enclosure within its inventory?  Someone may have refreshed the Enclosure from the first appliance, which would prompt for credentials and added it back.  Which that certainly would cause this sort of behavior.  To which, only a single appliance can manage or monitor a resource.  We do not, and have no plans to, support multiple HPE OneView appliances managing and monitoring the same infrastructure.

If the OA's are on the same L3 subnet, and there are no firewalls that would block connectivity from the appliance to the OA's and iLO's, then I'm not sure what else could cause your issue.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Chris,

I've check and FIPS Mode is off. About a year ago i installed Oneview 1.20 and was a bit disapointed in terms of reporting. I then removed the virtual Oneview appliance. Now one year later in installed the 2.00.07-0250853 version to see if i can migrate my Gen8 and above servers and their enclosures to the new Oneview. When i added about 10 enclosures all went well exept for the one enclosure that told me that it was managed from an other Oneview. I then tried the force option as suggested by the discovery. That failed, then i looked at the enclosure and saw a lot of old settings and a oneview user. I guess that was from the old Oneview setup so i removed these settings and the Oneview user had no admin rights. Then i did a failover for the Onboard admin to be sure the config was clean. Then i ran a discovery and still get the errors i mentioned. Like : HP Oneview no longer has managment access to the Enclosures due to ta change in Onboard Administrator management settings.  Should i remove the enclosure and try to readd it again ? The Onboard admin is of version 4.40 and the enclosure has ILO2, 3 and ILO4 blades. This is just like it's brother enclosure that i had no problem discovering.

Kind regards,

Andrew
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The force Add Enclosure would have removed the other use account and replaced the HPSIM SSO certificate and SNMP settings with the new appliance.  I would suggest you open a support case at this point to resolve your issue.  Outside or a firewall, FIPS security setting, or potentially a Layer 3 routing issue (if the enclousre is not in the same IP Subnet or VLAN the appliance is on), I'm not 100% certain what is causing the discovery issue.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

m0zz
Occasional Advisor

The firmware version is OK.

Did you add that enclosure to 1.20 for Monitroing? And then you added that enclosure to 2.0 for Moinitoring with the "Force" option.

If my guess is right, can you ssh to the Onborad Administrator and run this command?

show variable enclosureMonitorURL

It will return the OneView appliance url that monitoring the enclosure. If the returned url is not expected, then there will be a problem.

Resolution: remove the enclosure and add it again

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I've checked this on the problem exclosure and got a Variable "enclosureMonitorURL" not found. On a working Enclosure i get the https://ipofoneview back. 

Kind regards,

Andrew
m0zz
Occasional Advisor

Did you chosse the option "Add enclosure for management" when you added it to the new OneView? Can you try this command?

show vcmode

It should return the OneView appliance url that managing the enclosure.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I added the Enclosure for monitoring for this moment only. this should also work right ? 

The command returned Virtual Connect Mode : Disabled.

But that would be expected as it's not managed just monitored.

Kind regards,

Andrew
m0zz
Occasional Advisor

It should work. The variable "enclosureMonitorURL" is not defined indicated that there IS some problem. OneView was not monitoring it as expected.

If you have tried "Refresh" the enclosure and if it does not help, another resolution is remove and add it again.