New Discussion

Re: c7000 with Brocade 16G SAN Switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
KaliSami
Occasional Contributor

c7000 with Brocade 16G SAN Switch

Hello,

I have c7000 chassis with 2 x FlexFabric 20/40 Interconnects and 2 x Brocade 16G SAN Switch Interconnects. So the 2 x Brocade 16G SAN will conect to upstream Brocade Switches respectively. 

I know that OneView 3.0 cannot manage Brocade so i will need BNA for that. 

My questions is, where do I create the FC Networks (like i would do with FlexFabric 20/40 if i didnt have the brocade Interconnect under Networks) and how do i define this in Server Profiles? 

Normally with FlexFabric i used to create FC networks, Networks Sets, Uplink Sets and define in Server Profiles.

How do i do that now since FC will be handled by Brocades?  What do i need to do in HPE Oneview so my blades can see the FC Connections.?

Appreciate your help.

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The Brocade SAN switches are unmanaged devices, so you cannot create and assign FC Networks, Uplink Sets or Server Profile Connections that would map to the HBA installed in your servers.  You will have to manage the Brocade SAN switches externally from OneView.

If you want to provide FC connectivity to the FlexFabric adapter in your servers that would map to the Virtual Connect FlexFabric 20/40-F8 modules, you would create an FC network, associate with a Fibre Channel Uplink Set within your LIG or LI that maps to any of the Common Ports.  You can then create Server Profile Connections that map to your Fibre Channel Network to the FlexHBA (aka FlexNIC:B) interface, which OneView would automatically assign for you.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

KaliSami
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response Chris.

I have provided FC Connectivity via FlexFabric 20/40 to other customers like you mentioned below. 

This customer has Brocade 16G SAN Interconnects in Bay 3 & 4 so I was a bit confused so i wa snot sure how i will import them into OneView coz like you said its not manageable. Isnt HBA Port connections go to Bay 3 & 4?

So from what i understand, the zoning and all will need to be done externally and then I need to define BNA under SAN Managers correct? I was goign to setup FC Connections under Networks and once i define my BNA, i will select the Brocade SAN that shows up there. Will this work?

So my server profiles will just have network connections?

Thanks

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Yes, the interconnects in Bays 3 and 4 will map to Mezzanine 1 on any populated BL server.  OneView cannot manage the Brocade SAN switch as an Interconnect like it can with Virtual Connect.  You lose FC Connection management that would map to the HBA ports.  If you or your customer replace the Brocade SAN switch with the VC FC 16GB interconnect, then those HBA connections can be managed within the Server Profile.  Otherwise, you have to completely manage the Brocade SAN switch via FabricOS or BNA.  No, you cannot map a Managed SAN discovered from BNA to a Fibre Channel Network.  There wouldn't be any way to assign the FC network to a Server Profile Connection, because the Brocade SAN switch is an unmanaged device to HPE OneView.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

KaliSami
Occasional Contributor

Great Thanks.  Appreciate your help.