4969 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Increase Public Key size to RSA4096 in certificate signing request

Lenny_Juarbe
Occasional Contributor

Increase Public Key size to RSA4096 in certificate signing request

Hello, 

I am trying to import CA signed certs for my OneView 4.00.9 appliances.  My CA admin was able to add the correct template with the following:

X509v3 Key Usage:

Digital Signature, NonRepudiation, Key Encipherment

X509v3 Extended Key Usage:

TLS Web ServerAuthentication, TLS Web Client Authentication

However, when submitting the request it complained about the Public Key size.  Apparently our policy is to use RSA 4096 bits. 

Question is how do you increase the Public Key size in the request to 4096?  

Any help is greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Unfortunately, it is not possible to create a CSR with 4096 key length today.  With HPE OneView 4.10 and the appliance put into CNSA Mode (which can break communication with legacy and older systems that cannot support the stronger encryption and cyphers), the CSR would generate a 3072 bit length key.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Lenny_Juarbe
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Chris for the reply.  

Just so I understand you correctly, with CNSA Mode the strongest encryption the appliance will generate is 3072 bits.  Is it then possible to generate a csr using openssl with the key size set to 4096 and import the cert?  In other words, does OneView accept/support certs with a 4096 bit Public key size generated by a csr outside of the appliance's own mechanism?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Unfortunately no.  HPE OneView must generate the CSR today.  We do not have a method to import both the private and publicly signed key to the appliance.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Thomas24

Are there any changes until today.

I saw the option over the GUI to use 3072bit but our company policiy only allows key kength of at least 4096

Is there a way to create manually and import Certificates using 4096bits now?

TravellingKiwi
Occasional Visitor

Plus 1 on this... We are in pretty much the same boat. 

Has this been 'fixed' yet (OneView 5.3) - The docs would suggest it hasn't...

DanCernese
HPE Pro

Not in HPE OneView 5.3 or 5.4 (next week).  It is in the backlog though.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Daniel_Ufer

I have version 6.20.00-0443754 and still the same problem. 2048 bit for default or 3072 bits for CNSA compatible certificates. Is there an option to create a 4096 bit key/request now?

Regards, Daniel

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

We have not had many customers request 4k cert key length, only to reduce it to 2k.  Is this a hard requirement for your organization?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JT77_CB

@ChrisLynch .

Hi Chris,

I'm infratructure engineer from Germany. My company will allow certificate templates with least RSA public keys 3072/4096bit after October 2022 depends to Federal Office for Information Security (BSI)  "BSI TR-02102-1: "Cryptographic Mechanisms: Recommendations and Key Lengths" Version: 2022-1 " by January 2022.  BSI recommened to use RSA keys hihger then 3000bit. I guess more german companies with HPE related hardware will get in this rsa key issue.

I'm running HPE Oneview 6.6 due still existing blade enclosures and BL460C Gen9.

So my question is is there a possibility to get CSR with 4096bit, also ILO 4+5 certificates which support 4096bit rsa public key?

Many Thanks Jens