1752790 Members
6079 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Moving Enclosures from one OneView instance to another OneView instance

Ten_Admin
Occasional Advisor

Moving Enclosures from one OneView instance to another OneView instance

At the moment we manage two locations in one OneView instance. We like to move some enclosures to another OneView instance. Is there an easy way to do this or do we remove them from the current one and readd the enclosures on the new instance. Which also means recreating server profiles etc, etc, etc?

We are running version 2.00.07

Later we want to upgrade the instances to version 3 and start using the global dashboard.

I hope there is an easy way to get this done.

Kind regards,

Raymond

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

HPE OneView cannot move or migrate another HPE OneView configuration or managed resource.  Moving your HPE BladeSystem enclosur from one appliance to another will require downtime, and resources to be recreated.  There are some PowerShell scripts you can use.  Take a look at the Samples on the HPE OneView PowerShell Library Wiki.  Look for the Import/Export Resources script.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

rocru_rocru
Occasional Contributor

Since we are now 16 months beyond you last comment, "HPE OneView cannot move or migrate another HPE OneView configuration or managed resource."...

Has anything changed? Can we now migrate a OneView to another OneView using v4.00.07?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

We did not add any new migration features to HPE OneView.  This use case is not currently on our backlog to support.  I have some questions:

1. Can you help describe the intent and use of a feature like this? 
  2. How frequently would you use this feature? 
  3. What would you expect to happen when dependant resources that exist on the original appliance are not found on the target appliance?
  4.  What about event and activity history?
  5.  For HPE OneView 4.00 and newer, Scope Based Access Control settings?
  6. If this feature would only be used one time, is scripting the resource creation on the target system and then performing the Remove and then Add operations not sufficient?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

I have a customer that was using OneView to manage a c7000 enclosure with 2 BL460 blades in a SQL Cluster booting from a EMC SAN but the system was not maintained. Now one of the BL460's had the motherboard replaced and will not boot from SAN anymore (iscsi I think) They have NO idea if the OneView Appliance is still around or where it is but they can get into the BL460 ILO to make bios/boot changes.. 

Is there any options for them besides, installing a new OneView Server and importing the c7000 which will wipe out the current config and everything will have to be setup from scratch ? 

What if they  setup a new OneView server and imported the enclosure as managed.  then maybe they could get the basic SAN boot information from the working BL460 and get some info from the EMC SAN to set the boot options ?

thanks,

Martin