1748224 Members
4415 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New to Oneview

tjg091
Occasional Advisor

New to Oneview

I have installed version 1.20.03 of Oneview as a Vmware appliance. The installation went fine and I have added 2 servers to bbe monitored thus far to Oneview. I have removed one of the power supplys from one of thye newly added servers and no alerts show up within Oneview or in email (email has been configured to sent via SMTP). Is SNMP are requirement for this product to get any kind of alert? If not, what am I missing here?

Thanks,

TJ

10 REPLIES 10
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Hello TJ, and welcome to the HP OneView Community forums.

Yes, SNMP is a requirement for HP OneView.  When you add or claim a resource for either Monitored or Managed, HP OneView will automatically configure the supported platform for management.  Can you tell me what model server you added, and attempted to generate an Alert for?  Do you see anything in the Activity panel of the Monitored server?  To view it, select the top level menu, Server Hardware, the server device, then select the submenu and choose Activity.  Here is a sample screenshot:

Server Hardware Activity Panel.png

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

tjg091
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply Chris. 

Nothing shows up in activity except "green" events. The alert that I tried to kick off was on a G7 server and I had unpluged one of the power cords to one of the power supplies. I would assume that this would generate an alert but no alert was generated.

TJ

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Make sure your G7 server's iLO is configured for iLO Passthrough, and you have the Insight Manager Agents (and configured for SNMP not WEBM or WMI) installed on the host.   iLO3 found in G7 servers does not have all of the necessary hooks that iLO4 currently has to report failures.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

tjg091
Occasional Advisor

Chris,

The ILO passthru is turned on already. Do the Insight Manager Agents needs to be installed on any device that Oneview needs to manage?

TJ

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Only for supported G6 and G7 servers they do.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

tjg091
Occasional Advisor

Chris,

How would I determine if a server (we have a number of G7's) requires Insight Manager Agents?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

All G7 servers would need the IM Agents installed.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

tjg091
Occasional Advisor

Would the absense of the IM agents explain why I get no notifications when the power supply is removed from one of my test G7 servers?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I do not have quick access to a G7 server to validate.  I'm working on sourcing one and will have it by Monday.  I'll have more information for you then.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo