108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OneView 4.0 Virtual WWN and Mac Pools

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dllscwbyiam
Occasional Contributor

OneView 4.0 Virtual WWN and Mac Pools

I have a question regarding how Oneview generates it WWN and MAC Pools at startup. I seen this exerpt in an earlier answer " When the appliance first boots, it randomly generates 1 million MAC and WWN addresses each, which uses the Link Local Administrator bit. " But have a couple of questions regarding it and cannot seem to find anymore info on it. First what is a Link Local Administrator bit? Also if i have two Oneview Appliances in the same environment, how does each Oneview appliance not create the same identical pools?

3 REPLIES 3
whiteatwork
Advisor
Solution

Hello,

The OneView appliance generates MAC addresses in pools of 128 to 1,048,576 elements. By default, the appliance has 1,000,000 MAC addresses.  When you enable virtual addresses or identifiers, the predefined range is selected. The predefined range is large and randomly generated to prevent conflicts between profiles created in different realms.  There is a regenerate button to produce other random pools.  The chances of MAC address conflict are very rare, however OneView Global Dashboard does have a report that will identify Virtual ID Conflicts if you start to utilise multiple OneView aplliances.

Dllscwbyiam
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

Corsario28

Is there a way to list all WNN in use?

Im creating a new Server Profile, specifying the previoius WNN in use by that server and getting an error that these WNN are in use... by whom?