HPE OneView
1747984 Members
4431 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OneView for VMware vCenter 8.0.1: Differences between mgmt and data networks

Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

OneView for VMware vCenter 8.0.1: Differences between mgmt and data networks

Hello,

Could someone explain to me the differences between the selection of the management network vs data network? Documentation seems to be sparse on this.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

3 REPLIES 3
bhughey
Regular Visitor

Re: OneView for VMware vCenter 8.0.1: Differences between mgmt and data networks

Your mgmt network is the managament and vmotion network.  The Data network is were VM's reside.  

Hope that helps.

Brandon H. 

Generious
Occasional Advisor

If you are using hp orchestration then it reads the tags set IE Management/vMotion.

Apart from that it is just a tag 

Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

Hello,

That is dissappointing...

Management I get.

Nothing should ever reside on the vMotion network except ESXi hosts, else it is a MAJOR violation of security best practices and policy. 

Yes, many smaller installations mix Management w/vMotion and use VLANs to logically separate them BUT best practice is to actually separate these networks.

What is I have 30 networks or more for VMs, I cannot even create that many adapters within a VM. I begin to question why OV4VC needs to be on anything except the Management network. All deployments should happen via vCenter not directly. Am I missing something?

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky