4426 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replacement Oneview appliance, won't register with insight online

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Replacement Oneview appliance, won't register with insight online

Hi guys,
I deployed a new instance of Oneview, over restoring to a backup for a particular problem that wouldnt go away.
Copied a bunch of configuration stuff over manually, but now despite the new appliance saying its "registered with HP" I cannot get it to hook up with insight online with a passport. 

It does something for 5s, the task completes with no information, and insight remains disabled.

I disabled it on the old appliance, and disabled remote support on the old one too, but the new one is broken for registering with insight online.

Any tips on how to proceed here?

15 REPLIES 15
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I would suggest you open a support case and be ready to supply an appliance support dump.

Also, please know that Insight Online will be deprecated later this year.  The functionality that Insight Online provides will eventually be moved to InfoSight.  But there is no migration planned between Insight Online and InfoSight that I am aware of.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

So now even restoring the original appliance from backup still doesnt show up devices in infosight!

So its all broken top to bottom. Good job on the software HP, some of the most unreliable stuff I have EVER worked with. Standards have fallen so far, its frightening.

Watch now as I will have to likely wait up to a week to get this resolved with HPE "Support". So disappointed, and such a waste of my time and effort.

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

I wish we could get more technical answers on this forum.

I would like to know why is it that when you deploy a new Oneviwew appliance it will not allow you to pair up to infosight online again, and it remains disabled.

Is there a limit on Oneview appliances registered to an hp Passport? Is it a MAC address thing, is it something on the HPE backend which needs 24hrs? Something, anything would be nice.

I'm just sitting here hanging for HPE technical support to respond to a case, and its so frustrating to be left without a workings setup, when you cant find the answers yourself.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

My point about Insight Online being deprecated has not started yet.  And there is no transition from Insight Online to InfoSight.  So if you have an appliance that can successfully connect to Insight Online, it will not connect to, nor transition any data to InfoSight.  My comment was purely around the functionality of what Insight Online provides is moving to a new home.  How OneView connects to that is completely different, and requires new features that do not exist yet.

As for the issue you have, I suggested opening a support case because the UI isn't providing you with the necessary information as to why this is happening.  And the only way to identify why is with an appliance support dump that contains non-customer viewable logs.

And I just did some more digging on this.  It appears to be a known issue with 5.20, and there is supposed to be a document we have that provides a workaround, and should even be a CA.  I'm looking for that and when I do, I'll post here with an update.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

This is a known issue, and we have a CA published with a workaround.  Please review it and follow the steps within.

If you want to use the PowerShell Library instead of CURL, you can do the following API call:

# Connect to the appliance
Connect-HPOVMgmt -ComputerName MyAppliance -Credential (Get-Credential -Username myadmin)

# Issue the DELETE REST API call
Send-HPOVRequest -URI /rest/support/portal-registration -Method DELETE -AddHeader @{"If-Match" = "*"}

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

If this works, I will donate some money to a charity of your choice.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Once you have followed the steps in the CA, do let me know none the less.

I would also like to understand what features of Insight Online you use.  Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to discuss that in a public forum.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Chris you are a genius.

Certainly the appliance is now registered with insight online according to the UI.

The only thing which worries me being a paranoid HPE End-user is that the devices enabled for remote support have not shown up as yet. Should they be manually prompted to initiate a remote support data collection cycle before they will show in the insight portal?

Our HPPassport account for insight integration is only a user, not an administrator, could that be an issue?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Glad you were able to get Insight Online configured on your appliance.

The data populated into the Insight Portal is done when the appliance collects data from the devices and transmits that to our backend.  You could initiate a manual "Collect remote support data" from the actions menu of server or enclosure resources.  You could also automate this with PowerShell, using the Start-HPOVRemoteSupportCollection Cmdlet.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo