New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade Oneview Composer (3.10.04-0299553) to latest version

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ten_Admin
Occasional Advisor

Upgrade Oneview Composer (3.10.04-0299553) to latest version

LS,

I have seen a few posts from people who need to upgrade a no longer supported version of oneview composer to a supported version. But al information related to the upgrade path are no longer available. I was asked to bring a synergy composer up to date. The current running version is 3.10.04-0299553. I do not want to assume anything so anyone able to share the upgrade path for me?

Now I am assuming I need to upgrade to a unsupported version before I can upgrade to 4.20 so next question is where to get this unsupported version. I hope someone can help me out here. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Raymond

5 REPLIES 5
DanCernese
HPE Pro

Re: Upgrade Oneview Composer (3.10.04-0299553) to latest version

The previously supported HPE OneView versions on a Synergy Composer are still documented here:  

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/synergy/sw_release_info/EOS_Upgrade_Paths.html

However, you're correct that the management appliance combinations with HPE Synergy Custom SPP firmware and compute module are no longer documented.  If you share with us what firmware bundle you're running (and if you have HPE Image Streamer), I can offer some choices for how to upgrade.  In the meantime, please check out the prior version upgrade path link above.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Ten_Admin
Occasional Advisor

I was unable to find this diagram. Thank you for sharing.

The composer is running 3.10.04-0299553 and firmware bundle 2017.07.21.01 (yes very old...)

Image streamer is not used.

DanCernese
HPE Pro
Solution

Ok, wow.  That's the oldest build of 3.10 and the oldest firmware you could possibly be running for that version of HPE OneView on Synergy.    As you can see from the chart, the composer could go from 3.10.04 => 4.10.04 => 4.20.03 => 5.00.02 => 5.3 => 5.4

However, the infrastructure and compute firmware inject a serious planning complication.  That firmware bundle (both infrastructure and compute) was very quickly replaced by more stable firmware.  There are multiple module-level disruptive updates (that are orchestrated over by HPE OneView) but the compute firmware updates must necessarily be dragged along through multiple update if you require them to remaining operational and running throughout the entire process.

If you have the opportunity to take the compute modules completely offline, you can skip some of those intermediate firmware steps (but not the OneView steps). If you cannot, the normally and fully supported upgrade process would like something like this:

3.10.04 + 2017.07.20170721 => update to HPE OneView 4.10.04.  Technically only 4.10.01 was validated with that old firmware but it was itself replaced by .03 and then .04

Update all the infrastructure, computes, and OS versions, and OS drivers to 2019.03.20200324

Then update HPE OneView from 4.10 => 4.20 => 5.00 etc as above.

Then choose a target firmware bundle and update all the infrastructure, computes, OS versions, and OS drivers to their final destination.  Note that there is no avoiding that older OS versions will no longer be supported on the newer firmware bundles.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Ten_Admin
Occasional Advisor

Fortunately the whole environment can be taken down. It was running a POC and the POC is finished. So disruptive updates are no problem. 

DanCernese
HPE Pro

For a PoC-- if you want to completely wipe everything out it's significantly faster to (1) delete any profiles and LEs, (2) reimage the composers, don't update them, (3) factory reset the frame link modules, (4) factory reset all the interconnects.. ..and (5) start fresh with Hardware Setup (discovery) and first time setup.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo