New Discussion

Upgrade VC 4.30 to VC4.31 thru HP OneView

SOLVED
Go to solution
igarciamek
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade VC 4.30 to VC4.31 thru HP OneView

Hi there,

I'm implementing HP One View with a  new C7000 enclosure. 
The topic is I want upgrade VC 4.30 to V4.31 but VCSU can't be used and the only way is do it thru HP One View ... 

Does anyone has upgrade VC thru OneView without SPP boundle?

I Think the issue could be resolved adding vc431 to custom spp but I don't know how do it.
Is it enoughtadd firmware file to swpackages?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Upgrade VC 4.30 to VC4.31 thru HP OneView

You will need to create a custom SPP using HPSUM. You need to make sure that you also include iLO and OA firmware asking with the VC 4.31 firmware component. Then, upload the custom SPP ISO to your appliance.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

igarciamek
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply, at this moment I had created a custom SPP only with new VC component, and after forcé upgrade nothing happened even VC4.31 was recogniced.

I'm going to try adding OA and ILO components.

Thanks a lot .

PD: Trying with VCSU it always said this VC don't belongs to any VC Domain.... so VCSU is not longer a valid options to perform VC upgrade.
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The appliance should have rejected the SPP ISO when you added it if it didn't contain all 3 components. Any custom baseline must config at least three OA and iLO Linux forward components.

VCSU is not supported because VCM is no longer the manager. When OneView claims an enclosure for management, OneView turns off VCM.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Here are some step by step directions on how to do what you are asking for:

custom baseline in SUM 7.1.0

· Launch SUM

· Add an “Additional Package” in the SUM Baseline Library by pointing to a directory that contains the VC Smart Component for Linux (VC 4.31 = CP025003.scexe)

· Create a custom baseline in HP SUM

o Use the September 2014 SPP as the Source ISO

o Add the original SPP Baseline and the “Additional Package” containing the VC Firmware you want

· Use the filters if you wish to reduce the size of the Custom Generated SPP to include only Firmware components and only those that are applicable to what the customer has in their inventory. For example, I change the Component Type to only Firmware, select OA, VC, iLO etc in the Non Server devices and select only BL460 Gen8.

· When you Apply Filters, you’re presented with the list of components that will be in your generated SPP. Because the source ISO has VC 4.30 in it, I’ve manually unselected it.

· Let HP SUM generate the new ISO and use OneView to upload it into the appliance. As a side note, without much work, the SPP was reduced to 1.6 GB from the standard 4GB. This was without filtering the OS for Linux since firmware for severs is applied through Intelligent Provisioning (Linux based). This can speed up the firmware baselining on servers.

· OneView will check for errors to ensure the required components are present. In my first attempt I was missing iLO 3 and 4 firmware. Regenerate if necessary.

· In the Interconnects screen you can now change the firmware baseline to the one containing VC 4.31

Now, with all of this being said there isn’t any functionality to be gained by migrating VC firmware however it can alleviate things like the Flex-10/10D false overheat issue.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo