New Discussion юеВ

Best strategy of snapshots?

SOLVED
Go to solution
mig_king
Occasional Advisor

Best strategy of snapshots?

Hi All,

We are new to Simplivity and just got our 3 nodes cluster deployed. I found the snapshot is quite convinent to be a way of backup, but I know little about it. Is there some resources about how to planning on snapshot? Also if you do a frequent snapshot to a busy server (like every 20 minutes) will this affect its performance (say SQL server)?

Thanks!

Chen

4 REPLIES 4
DowS
HPE Pro

Re: Best strategy of snapshots?

Hi Chen,

VMware Snapshots should not be used as Backups.

Please see the VMware Best practices for using snapshots documentation.

To use Simplivity backup function please see Chapter 9 in the following Administrator Guide which should provide all detail you require for utilising this functionallity.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

scott_svt
Frequent Advisor
Solution

@mig_king,

In this instace it sounds like you are talking about HPE SimpliVity backups, correct?

TL;DR:

No, there is basically zero performance impact when running a backup, but you do need to be aware of capacity usage with such a tight window.

Long Form:

Your backup policies aro generally unaffected by frequency, in terms of performance, but they should match an RPO that matches a specific business need, i.e. 20 minutes. The retention should then reflect the RPO somewhat. That is to say, if an RPO of 20 minutes is required, then it is likely that beyond, say, 8 hours, the data will start to loose value. You already defined it as rapidly changing in your 20 min frequency. If it was more like one every 24h, they you are effoctively saying that the data changes a little less, and there is value in a 24h RPO. In these scenarios, much longer retention may also be valuable, say, 1 week, or even one month.

These are just a few things to think about.

Accept or Kudo
mig_king
Occasional Advisor

Thanks! I should be clear I am trying to use Simplivity Snapshot function. But Thanks again for provide link for the manual, I will read it! 

Chen

mig_king
Occasional Advisor

Thanks! That's great help! 

Chen