HPE SimpliVity
1748218 Members
4414 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can we get more updated supported releases of ESXi?

jas5333
Occasional Contributor

Can we get more updated supported releases of ESXi?

Good Morning,

I saw that there is a new HPE ESXi 6.5 image released on April 2, 2019. I was excited to see this as it has been quite sometime since the last posted image. However on looking at the version i was rather disheartened to learn that the vmware release that the image is based on is not even from this year. We are currently going through an IA accreditation package at my organization and was hoping to eliminate some of the ESXi patch findings but doesn't look like I will as this version that just got released is still 3 versions behind the current vmware 6.5 release.

Can the ESXi image process get released more expediently so that we aren't so far behind from a security standpoint?

11 REPLIES 11
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @jas5333 

Thanks for your query.

I understand your concerns, however, VMware ESXi patches do need to go through rigorous testing before we officially support them. VMware release their patches sometimes with a very short interval between. It would be very diffficult for us to keep in exact sync with this due to the necessary testing that needs to be carried out.

We now also support ESXi 6.7 right up to Express Patch5 which was only released in November last, and which is only two versions behind the latest VMware Express Patch seven release, so updating your ESXi infrastructure to 6.7 would ensure that you are at our latest possible qualified ESXi patch version also.

I will raise your concerns with the appropriate teams, but I suspect that realistically, there will most likely not be any change to the current qualification process.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

jas5333
Occasional Contributor

@DeclanOR ,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that extra testing needs to be done to ensure the HPE system components work as intended with new software releases. However I think my frustration is that in 4-5 months time period we get a new release that is still 4+ months old. Going to 6.7 is definitely in the roadmap for our organization but I think we are still going to have the same frustration with the amount of lag that there is with ESXi patch release cycles. Do I expect HPE to stay in sync with VMware? Obviously not, that's unrealistic. However It would be nice to see some improvement in the cadence of the releases. 

In any case I appreciate you raising the concerns.

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @jas5333 

Thanks for your response. I do understand your frustration.

I will as mentioned raise your concerns. If I have any further details I will update you on this thread.

Thanks again,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

Kevin4
Advisor

I thought 6.7 Update 1 was supported being it was on the Omnistack 3.7.7 Interoperability guide.  Is that correct?

gustenar
HPE Pro

@Kevin4 

ESX 6.7 U1 Build 10302608 is supported in software 3.7.7. 

Here is the link for the 3.7.7 interoperability guide if needed:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00038559en_us

Thanks, 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Kevin4
Advisor

In software 3.7.8, 6.7 EP 5 is supported which came out in November 2018., which was 6 months ago.  I understand testing and validation must go on.  Our infosec team wants our VMWare environment more updated than that. Shouldn't 6.7 EP 6 or 7 be supported by now?   I would like to know how many months an ESXi simplivity host will be behind a VMWare release.  3 months, 6 months, or more?

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @Kevin4 

Generally, given that we have a 3 month release cycle, there would most likely be a three month difference.

For each upcoming release, the available VMware build at the time of preparing for the next release, would be the one used.

For the next release, the planned versions are 6.7EP07, and 6.5EP13.

This is still subject to chnage however for a number of different possible reasons, but right now, these look like the next supported builds which should coincide with the 3.7.9 release.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

B0ris
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

do you have any information, when Windows 2019 HyperV (in terms of hypervisor) will be supported with Simplivity ?

Br,
Boris

Kevin4
Advisor

DeclanOR,

Thanks for the update.