HPE SimpliVity
1752567 Members
5469 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can we manually add the host into the new vCenter if the previous vCenter was crash ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
jacky5001
Occasional Contributor

Can we manually add the host into the new vCenter if the previous vCenter was crash ?

what should we do inside the OVC after adding the host into the new vCenter? any downtime required? how do we verify if everything was working fine after added into new vCenter?

7 REPLIES 7
jacky5001
Occasional Contributor

Re: Can we manually add the host into the new vCenter if the previous vCenter was crash ?

can anyone provide me the step or guide on how to do the vcenter repointing? require any downtime?

DowS
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Jacky5001,

• If the Current Simplivity version you are running is above 3.7.3 then you can run these commands yourself if below 3.7.3 then A support case will be required and an engineer will need to run these for you.
    • Pointing the clusters to a new vCenter can be done with a 2 single command's (Steps 3&4) but will require a reboot of the OVC's which is initiated by the first update command.
    • These commands need to be ran from every OVC in the federation.
    • Downtime is not required as IP failover will migrate the running state of the VM's to the other node in the HA pair.

1. Elevate permissions prior to running below commands.
    • sudo su
    • source /var/tmp/build/bin/appsetup

1. Confirm all VM's are in HA sync prior to running commands to ensure IP failover will migrate running state.
    • svt-vm-show (If all VM's are not in HA Sync then open support case for assistance) 

1.  This command will initiate a reboot of OVC
    • dsv-update-vcenter --server <IP of vCenter> --user <HMS User> --password <HMS Password>   

HMS User = administrator@vsphere.local

1. This command is non-intrusive and will only restart some of the authentication services.
    • dsv-identitystore-init <HMS User> <Host IP> <Host User>  <HMS Password> <Host Password> 

HMS User = administrator@vsphere.local 

Host IP = vmkernel management IP address of ESXi host housing specific OVC

​​​​​​​Host User = Root

1. Confirm federation is healthy after re-point.
    • svt-federation-show

I would advise that you open a support case for assistance if you encounter any issues running these commands 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jacky5001
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Sir. it's working fine after i did the repointing. svtfs running and svt-federation-show showing alive and connected

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hello I ve faced the same issue. From ovc cli all is fine but from the VCSA the federation le empty. I ve reinstall the plugin but still the same. Only the dsv-identity seems do not exist anymore on 3.7.8
Any idea ?
Regards
J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Ok I've find the answer in another post

https://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-SimpliVity/Simplivity-OVC/td-p/7010965#.XQlCxYgzZPY

from 3.7.7 dsv-identity have been replaced by 

• dsv-digitalvault-init <HMS User> <Host IP> <Host User>
Daniel_ST
Occasional Advisor

Hi, i have OVC 4.0.0 and do all the steps that you write for add to a new VCSA 6.7 (last in the HP Support web). All the steps show correct result but i have some problems.

1º. When i write "svt-vm-show" or "svt-federation-show" i get "ERROR [47]: Missing session credentials."

2º. Working throught VCSA 6.7, the access that need to show esxi hosts, vms or datacenter is very very very slow. An example, when i need to move one vm to another esxi host, when i must select the new host, it's very very slow to show the two hosts that i have.

Before I execute the "dsv-update-center" i can navigate normally throught the vcsa but without the simplivity plug-in.

Thanks in advanced, i really need help.

SKullman

To run the svt-federation-show and svt-vm-show,  add the --emergency switch to the end, this will prompt a login of the svtcli account.

+  svt-federation-show --emergency

+  svt-vm-show --emergency

my $.02