New Discussion

Re: NTP best practices?

SOLVED
Go to solution
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

NTP best practices?

Hi

I have some notes that suggest the following edits are made to the SimpliVity nodes when using internal NTP servers

• In /etc/ntp.conf, set maxdist 30 
  • In /etc/likewise/lsassd.conf ensure that sync-system-time = no 

Are you able to say briefly what the purpose is for these settings?

Can I also confirm that these remain recommendations and that they should still be used if the configuration is to include 2 internal ntp servers and 2 external ntp servers?

kind regards

5 REPLIES 5
Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi jlangmead

Thank you for coming to HPE Community forums.

NTP best practices
• Specify at least three NTP servers
• You might need to modify your firewall to allow NTP to work; refer to ntppool.org/en/
• If you decide to use an internal Domain Controller as an NTP server, see: Synchronizing ESXi/ VMware ESX® time with a Microsoft Domain Controller (1035833)

Also request you to have a look at the HPE SIMPLIVITY FOR VSPHERE NETWORKING BEST PRACTICES and refer to Page no: 8 using the below link

https://assets.ext.hpe.com/is/content/hpedam/a50000783enw

Hope this helps.!

Regards
Mahesh202

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi

Thanks for the info - Can you tell me if the final recommnedation you have listed is only required if the NTP sources are ALL internal. 

"If you decide to use an internal Domain Controller as an NTP server, see: Synchronizing ESXi/ VMware ESX® time with a Microsoft Domain Controller (1035833)"

My environment has two internal sources and two external sources so I'd like to confirm if this recommnedation would still apply for that scenario?

many thanks

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi jlangmead

I would request you to specify atleast three NTP servers (Internal)

Regards
Mahesh202

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi Please can you just clarify your answer or say if my understanding of your response is correct.

I have 4 NTP servers configured.  2 are internal addresses and 2 are external address.

Are you saying this isn't a good configuration and I should have at least 3 internal OR at least 3 external?

Having 4 NTP servers with 2 internal and 2 external isn't recommended?

Thanks

Mahesh202
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi jlangmead

My previous suggestion was as per best practices.

This is a good configuration. you can have both internal and  external  NTP servers configured
you just  need to make sure the first NTP address is pingable all the time which means communicating at all the times.

For further queries, I would suggest you to contact HPE Simplivity Tech Support and log a case.

Regards
Mahesh202

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo