1748185 Members
4473 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Some VM's have status of "No" for Storage HA

adidasnmotion
Advisor

Some VM's have status of "No" for Storage HA

We have a DR datacenter and a Production datacenter that replicate to each other.  Each datacenter has 3 hosts.  On our production datacenter when I look in HPE Simplivity Federation some of the VM's show that Storage HA is "No".  I can ssh into the 3 OVC's and on 2 of them when I enter svt-vm-show I see the same vm's with a status of "No" for Storage HA.  On one of them though when I enter svt-vm-show I get the following error:

Error: Thrift::SSLSocket: Could not connect to 192.168.40.41:9190 (Connection refused)

I feel like if I moved the VM's off of this host and restarted the OVC the problem would be resolved.  However, everything I keep finding online says that you shouldn't power down a host/ovc if any VM's have a status of No for Storage HA.

Anyone have any ideas how I might be able to resolve this?

5 REPLIES 5
gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @adidasnmotion 

It looks that the controller where you get the error is down at the moment and that explains why some MVs show as "no HA". If you run a "status svtfs" command on that same controller what status do you get?

If the status is not "Running" then you should contact support for assistance bring the controller back online and determining what caused it to go down, as you may be experiencing a hardware issue or some other condition with it. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
adidasnmotion
Advisor

When I run status svtfs I get "stop/waiting".  I am able confirm via Lenovo's IMM that there are no hardware alerts, the status for all the hardware is good.

Unfortunately, I was told that because our simplivity environment is on Lenovo hardware we could no longer extend our maintenance contract and receive support.   Thats why I was looking for help here.

Is the solution as simple as just starting the controller?  Are there commands I can run to get it online and synched up?

gustenar
HPE Pro

@adidasnmotion 

If hardware is all healthy it might be possible to bring it back online. Can you let me know what version of Simplivity software you are running? If you are running 3.7.3 or above try the following commands. 

1. sudo su

2. source /var/tmp/build/bin/appsetup

3. Search for a file "nostart" in the following directories:

ls

- /var/svtfs/0

-/var/svtfs/svt-hal/0

If you find the file remove it with "rm' command. 

4. Run command "start svtfs"

5. If everything is ok the command will not return any output and just come back to the prompt. 

6. Check status again with "status svtfs" and make sure it is on a start/running state and has a Process ID next to it. 

Hope it helps. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
adidasnmotion
Advisor

Our version of Simplivity is 3.7.9.  I found no instances of a nostart file in those locations.  I ran start svtfs and after a really long time the prompt finally came back with an error:

start: Job failed to start

If I moved vm's to other hosts or shutdown all the VM's on that host would restarting the OVC and/or host help?  I haven't tried that because I saw somewhere online that you shouldn't do that when there are vm's without storage HA protection.

gustenar
HPE Pro

No, rebooting the OVC won't help in this case. Since the job is not starting it requires investigation of what's preventing it from starting. 

I would suggest logging a call with support and ask for options to have support on this.

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo