New Discussion юеВ

Questions about LAGs and JBOD drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
nov1ce
Occasional Visitor

Questions about LAGs and JBOD drives

Hello,

HPE Synergy 12000 frame (OneView 4.10.04) with several 480 Gen10 blades and two D3940 storage modules (80 JBOD drives in total).

Question 1: During the configuration of connections in the Server Profiles I chose two links from different mezzanines. If I don't chose Link aggregation group does it mean that those links will be active/standby? And if I want to achieve proper active/active 802.3ad LACP I'll have to add those two link in the LAG + configure active/active bonding on the OS level?

Question 2: When I add drives in the Server Profiles (under Local Storage) from the SAS Mezz storage controller, and boot the OS (latest CentOS) I for some reason see twice the amount of drives added.
For example, I add 5 drives, boot CentOS and see 10 drives present in the dmesg output. Did I miss something? Anything special needed on the OS level (multipathing)?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Sharis
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Questions about LAGs and JBOD drives

Hello,

Question 1: During the configuration of connections in the Server Profiles I chose two links from different mezzanines. If I don't chose Link aggregation group does it mean that those links will be active/standby? And if I want to achieve proper active/active 802.3ad LACP I'll have to add those two link in the LAG + configure active/active bonding on the OS level?

Answer:  Yes. You need to configure LAG on the Profile connections and configure those ports for LACP on the OS level as well to achevie Active / Active configurations.  Also you need to make sure the uplink ports connetced to switch ports should be configured for LACP on switch side.

Question 2: When I add drives in the Server Profiles (under Local Storage) from the SAS Mezz storage controller, and boot the OS (latest CentOS) I for some reason see twice the amount of drives added.
For example, I add 5 drives, boot CentOS and see 10 drives present in the dmesg output. Did I miss something? Anything special needed on the OS level (multipathing)?

Answer:  Could you confirm, how the 5 Drives are configured in server profile ?  Is it Logical JBOD or Logical Drive?

Regards,

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

nov1ce
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Sharis.

Both questions are cleared by a series of empirical tests. :)

RE 2: One would need the device-mapper-multipath package installed on CentOS, since each drive has two paths and that explains why two drives are seen (in fact it's one drive with two paths).

Cheers.

Sharis
HPE Pro

Hello ,

Thanks..

Yes. Dual path for same drive.

I have noticed that when you configure the device as Logical JBOD in profile, it will report dual paths for same drives.

With Logical Drive (RAID), it would only show the Logical volume in the OS level.

Have a nice day.

Regrads,

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo