5539 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Same VLAN in different Uplink Sets

mula_e
Advisor

Same VLAN in different Uplink Sets

Hi All, 

Was wondering if it would be possible to "tag" the same VLAN ID on different uplink sets within OneView on the VC. We have a requirement that we need to split some traffic between two redundant uplink sets connected on Q1 and Q2 respectively. The idea is to pass mgmt traffic and physical traffic VLANs on Q1  X uplinkset while other VM traffic in Q2 on a different Y uplink set. However some time you would need that the same VLAN exists on both so that you have all the flexibility. 

OneView seems to allow me create duplicate VLANs with different names however it seems that i can add the same vlan id in one exclusive uplink set. 

Wondering if this is by design to avoid spanning tree loops or if theres something we are missing 

Thanks!

mulae

3 REPLIES 3
Raghav_A1
HPE Pro

Re: Same VLAN in different Uplink Sets

Hi Mulae, 

We cannot add same VLAN ID to 2 different uplink set as well we cannot add same VLAN ID to multiple subport of same physical port .

This is as per the VC designed.

Hope this helps !

Raghav

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

DanRobinson
HPE Pro

If Q1 and Q2 are terminating in the same upstream switch, or virtualized switch like vPC/IRF/MLAG, your best bet is to just put both uplinks into the Same Uplink Set and then VC will use LACP (Mode Passive currently) to bond the 2 ports.

If you are using 1 LIG in HA mode, you can also do this across 2 different VC modules in the same bay pair (VC3 and VC6 for example)

This provides Redundancy on the uplinks and prevents stranding some capacity on uplinks only carrying certain VLANs while other uplinks are maxed out on their VLANs.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Doms24
Occasional Visitor

We also have the need to use the same vlan on different uplink sets.  Our use case would be to gracely cutover the server profiles in the chassis to a new set of TOR switches.  I used to do this all the time with flex10 and c7000 chassis.