HPE Synergy
1752782 Members
6332 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Test Restore of Composer. What are the risks?

Dave_Thacker
Contributor

Test Restore of Composer. What are the risks?

Hello,

We currently backing up our Synergy Composer through scheduled backups in OneView.   I'd like to test a restore from one of the daily backups on a non-production system.    I'm proposing creating a test server profile template that is not attached to a specific blade,  taking a backup,  deleting the server profile template, and then restoring from the last backup.  If the test server profile template is restored, I would consider the restore test successful.   My customers have asked me some questions about the risk of doing this test:

1. Would there be any disruption to the operation of the blades while the backup is restored?
  2. Assuming that no manual configuration changes are done (no changed to server/server profile relationship, no changes to working networks or network sets) what is the risk of an the the restore to change any automatic changes?

Thanks to sharing your expirences with the restore process. 

Dave 

"Leveraging Synergy across all technology platforms!"--Scott Adams
3 REPLIES 3
Sharis
HPE Pro

Hello,

Restoring from a backup is a disruptive action. Any changes made after the selected backup was taken will be lost.

All users are logged out and their work is lost. The appliance will restart and users will not be able to log in to the appliance during the restore process.

Any enclosures which were added after the backup was taken will have to be factory reset before they can be managed again by this appliance.

IP addresses for iLO and interconnects will be reprogrammed, if needed, to match the restored configuration.

To prevent duplicate identifiers on the network, server hardware configurations are cleared if an associated server profile is not in the backup.

Server profiles that have been modified since the backup was taken are flagged with this message: 'Server profile settings conflict with the server hardware configuration'. To reapply the server profile configuration and restore network connectivity, you must unassign all flagged server profiles and then individually reassign the server profiles to the server hardware.

Storage volume attachments that were added to server profiles after the backup was taken will need to be cleaned up on the storage system after the restore process completes.

Logical drives and logical JBODs that were not associated with server profiles at the time of backup will not be recoverable. Server hardware will continue to have access to these drives until the logical interconnect configuration controlling the drive allocation is manually re-applied. Backup data on these logical drives and logical JBODs, and delete these logical drives using the Smart Storage Administrator tool prior to re-applying the logical interconnect configuration. Afterwards, affected server profiles can be edited to create new logical drives or logical JBODs and the data can be manually restored at that time.

If an OS deployment server is configured, and was modified since the last backup was taken, the OS deployment server may need to have its configuration adjusted to restore network connectivity. Logical enclosures that loose connectivity will also need to have their configuration reapplied.

To prevent unintentional assignment of duplicate MAC addresses, world wide names and serial numbers, these address and identifier ranges will be disabled after the restore process completes. The appliance automatically creates replacements for these address and identifier ranges.

Tip: to minimize disruption, take frequent backups, especially after you make configuration changes to your environment.

===========

Hope this helps.

1. Would there be any disruption to the operation of the blades while the backup is restored?

Answer: Its a disruptive action and you need ot schedule downtime

2. Assuming that no manual configuration changes are done (no changed to server/server profile relationship, no changes to working networks or network sets) what is the risk of an the the restore to change any automatic changes?

Answer: Backup restore will restore the OV as it is when it was taken backup. If any change after backup was taken, those will be lost. In addition, it would not recover the SPP bundle. You have re-upload the SPP bundle.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jaffer

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Dave_Thacker
Contributor

Thank you for your response.    That answered a lot of my question.   I have one point I'd get clarification on. 

To prevent unintentional assignment of duplicate MAC addresses, world wide names and serial numbers, these address and identifier ranges will be disabled after the restore process completes. The appliance automatically creates replacements for these address and identifier ranges.

Our test restore scenario is to take a backup and immediately perform the restore.   By doing this we should only have one change, a server profile that has not been applied to any hardware.   Are the MAC addresses, world wide names, and serial numbers change on any restore, or just on restores that would revert an applied server profile?

Dave

"Leveraging Synergy across all technology platforms!"--Scott Adams
Sharis
HPE Pro

Hello,

It would jusy revert the setup back to a state when backup was taken.

You would see below.

- Server profile that has not assigned to any server.

- You would be missing uploaded SPP bundle from Firmware Bundle section. Backup doesn't include SPP bundles.

So you would see SPP baseline error on all server profiles / LE if its added.

Regards,

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo