1752609 Members
4114 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

IMC Alerts - Fire / resend every x minutes

Vince00
Occasional Advisor

IMC Alerts - Fire / resend every x minutes

In our last SNMP solution I used it was set to auto send every 1 minutes in the event of a failure and I modified it to only email the alert every 15 min's (In the event of a power outage and site was on UPS power for example).

How do I go about firing the same alert multiple times so I know it's still down?  

For example, in my email if I see a link up then down, then up then down again I get the Critical alert and the INFO alert it is back up.   -- Without having to read 40 emails it would be nice to mass delete all the messages and wait for the new one to arrive to see if it is still an issue.

Second example is in the case of a power situation, I really do want an alarm every 15 min's so we can address it before the UPS is drained and I don't want that lost in the emails i've recieved for other devices, but i do not want a power related alert to be fired every 1 minute.

Is there a customization for something like this or is that more of a full SNMP solution that iMC does not provide?

4 REPLIES 4
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: IMC Alerts - Fire / resend every x minutes

Not really. IMC doesn't really support this sort of thing. 

The best option is to route the alerts through someting like PagerDuty, so you can do this sort of alerting.

Vince00
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Lindsay,  Does Pager Duty have the ability to know which is the alert and which is the correction?  It's a shame to have to use another product especially one with a monthly subscription to do what the competative SNMP solution was doing out of the box.

I simply want to get an alert multiple times so I know it's still an issue and self correct when it comes back online.

Is there any other solution anyone can think of that is not a $50 monthly subscription per person?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can configure tools like PagerDuty to understand how to correlate those events. You don't need to pay $50/month either. You could use it with the lower level plans.

Alternatives are:

* Integrate with whatever your organisation is using for service management

* Use other products like xMatters

* Write your own scripts to do it.

* Use the "competitive SNMP solution"

Vince00
Occasional Advisor

So after some emails to our HP rep it looks like HP's approach is of course to block all redundant messages to avoid spamming the user instead of the feature I was looking at it set how many to report on.

I looked into the interface of filtering redundant messages and to my knowledge tried everything possible is removing the checkbox to block redundant traps as well as turned the timing window down to one minute, etc, I went to extremes and cannot for the life of me get iMC to report more than once on an issue.

If I could get it to spam me over and over when a device is unavailable I can then test the reverse angle and adjust the timers to something I can live with.

Anyone have any luck setting these options / getting iMC to report more than once on a link down?