1752329 Members
5720 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

iMC - Interface "GigabitEthernet1/0/8" State DOWN found during iMC device poll.

Warkscol_Infra
Occasional Contributor

iMC - Interface "GigabitEthernet1/0/8" State DOWN found during iMC device poll.

Within iMC I have a number of alarms that occur daily which are similar to the example shown in the subject of this post. In many cases these interfaces are DOWN for administrative reasons, making the alarm irrelevant.

I've found some potentially useful information by looking in the 'Interface List' on the specific device. One common attribute that all these alarmed interfaces share is that the ' Interface Link-Type' is listed as 'SNMP Device-Connected'. Other interfaces are listed as idle, which is what these should be. I've looked in what seems like every possible place for this parameter and can't seem to find it anywhere.

Can anyone offer any assistance regarding this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
Pack3tL0ss
Valued Contributor

Re: iMC - Interface "GigabitEthernet1/0/8" State DOWN found during iMC device poll.

One place to impact the polling alarms is under system-->system settings-->system configuration.

There you can chose to filter or not for..

-- pc connected links

-- server connected links

-- disconnected links.

I normally filter everything but the server connected links.  You can manual over-ride the system setting by drilling down to an interface from the device view, or under resource-->batch operations.

That should filter everything, but links known to be connected to servers (the server would have to be discovered and managed by IMC.

It shows it as an 'SNMP-Device connected link;, because this is used as a selection criteria when adding monitoring indicies for interface monitors (i.e. monitor inbound bandwidth on ports).  When you create that interface monitor you can chose to monitor all up ports that have SNMP devices connected, and it will create the monitor against just those ports (those will be the only ports polled for interface statistics). 

Hope that helps

PL

Warkscol_Infra
Occasional Contributor

Re: iMC - Interface "GigabitEthernet1/0/8" State DOWN found during iMC device poll.

Yes, general practice within our organisation is to filter everything but the server connected links - however as we don't manage the servers using iMC this probably isn't working as effectively as it could be.

Is it possible to check/reconfigure the monitoring indicies for interface monitors? I'm struggling to understand how iMc can detect these connected SNMP devices initially but is not able to determine that they are no longer connected and therefore revert the interface state to idle...