1747994 Members
4754 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Interface link down alarms

sjm205

Interface link down alarms

IMC by default reports every single link down trap as a major alarm....which in my case the majority of them are not (I work at a College so everytime a student disconnects their machine it shows up as a MAJOR ALARM when it's probably more of a relief!)

However my biggest concern is that the link down alarms I do care about (Servers etc) are going to get overlooked......(I've had 129 link down alarms generated while typing this)

Is there an easy way to turn this off for the ports I don't care about?

The only method I've found so far seems to consist of going onto each individual interface on each device one at a time and unmanaging it which is going to take a very very long time....

Cheers for any help

Simon

9 REPLIES 9
PSchoeberl

Hi Simon,

I have the same problem and haven't fixed it a hundred percent. It seems there are two sources of those up/down-messages: traps and iMC-polls - as long as you defined a trap address on your devices.

What I did to get rid of the trap messages was to generate tables (unit1 to unit6 in my case) with excel and copied the result in text files (one per unit).

The text files look like this:

int e 1/0/1

undo enable snmp trap updown

int e 1/0/2

int e 1/0/3

I copy whatever interfaces I am not interested in from the text file block by block and paste them into my terminal session. This way no traps are being sent to iMC regarding link up/down.

Nonetheless I still get occasional messages from iMC with outdated up/down-alerts as long as I do not "recover" those alerts.

You could set the status of the interfaces to unmanaged in the iMC-SQL-Database, but that's a lot of work, too.

select * from imc_config.tbl_if_info where dev_id=258

order by ifstatus

and then change the ifstatus in the database

regards

Patrick

rafter_1
Advisor

Hi,

I had this problem too, I'm not interested in the ups and downs of the end station ports.  So all I have done is filtered the traps out in iMC.

To do this in the Alarm panel, Trap Management, Filtering Trap.  Add a new filter, name, select common trap, up/down trap and then select all the ethernet ports of the devices your not interested in getting alarms about (I make sure not to include the gigabit ports as these are uplinks), select all days and all times.

This is now filtered out for those selected ports, its easier than going to each switch individually and disabling the trap.

Hope that helps.

PSchoeberl

Hi Rafter,

you are right, filtering the traps seems to be the most efficient way. Disabling the traps on the devices itself doesn't even solve the problem because iMC queries the interfaces, regardless of the traps sent or not sent by the devices.

regards

Patrick

Warkscol_Infra
Occasional Contributor

I'm having a similar issue to this myself. I have two interfaces on a couple of switches that were used as uplinks at one stage before they were replaced with fibre. However even though these two are down/shutdown, iMC reguluarly (maybe two-three times a-day) performs a device poll which reports back a Major Alarm that these ports are down...like they are supposed to be. So there, is no issue, but somewhere within iMC's configuration these two ports must have some relevance.

I am a fairly new user to iMC so haven't had much exposure to some of the finer workings.

Pack3tL0ss
Valued Contributor

PSchoeberl is correct there are 2 sources that will trip an alarm when an interface goes down.

1. Trap from the device.  This is the more timely/imediate notification as the switch sends it once the inteface goes down.

2. IMC polls, this happens during the poll interval, as IMC checks in with the device and finds the port is now down.

To filter the traps, you can follow the summary rafter gave to have IMC filter the alarms for non-interested ports or all ports.

To impact the poll alarms...  System-->System Configuration-->System Settings - interface up/down alarm filters.  From there you can chose to filter disconnected links, PC connected, server connected...  I usually filter everything other than server connected links.

The other spot to do some fine-tuning, is under resource -->batch operations-->interface up/down alarm filter.  From there you can select whatever ports you want from whatever devices, and chose to filter/not filter them, or keep the system settings described above).

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

How does IMC now what a pc connected interface is?

AlexisKoch
Advisor

Hello!

Very good question Davy! (And I don't know the answer...).

If you want to filter an alarm, there's a very easy way to do it (in IMC version 7.1).

1- Clic on the alarm description

2- On the right panel, clic on "filter the alarm", select the device(s), and... you're done!

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@Davy Priem wrote:

How does IMC now what a pc connected interface is?

It figures out what's connected based upon MAC, CDP, LLDP tables, and what other devices IMC knows about.

PC Connected interfaces are where IMC can see that the port is in use, but it's not an IMC-monitored device connected (no switch, router or server that IMC is monitoring is connected to it).

jlima1
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the bump...

I had a question that is somewhat related and wanted to see if it was possible. Is there a way to manipulate the alarms to show a link that is ifoperstatus dormant to stay as down on the map? I'm basically trying to show 4G links that are in an up state but spoofing to show as down on the map till they actually go up/up and start passing traffic.

Thanks,

jlima