New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stop the background discovery process in IRS 7.10

SOLVED
Go to solution
NKretschmar
Occasional Contributor

Stop the background discovery process in IRS 7.10

Hi,

we are installed IRS 7.10 in our regional data center to be responsible for the regional HPE infrastructure. It is running on the same server instance as another SIM instance, but both are not connected (somehow).

I'd like to add systems to IRS on demand, therefore I disabled the scheduled discovery and also I delected the standard IP scopes from the discovery tab "Sources / Local Networks".

So far, I have all my systems in, created a "dummy" site as default, do be aware if new systems are added to IRS, which I'm unaware. 

And oddly, there are always a number of systems gathered from our global network, which are not intended to add to IRS, and I'm more than sure, I didn't it.

Any ideas, how to disable this discovery process completely?

Regards,

Nico 

Thanks and regards,

Nico
6 REPLIES 6
toddg1
HPE Pro

How did you disable the discovery schedule?  On the Discovery tab,  in the sub-tab called "Configuration Settings", 

did you deselect the:

[ ] Automatically start discovery every month on day

checkbox?  And you say that some discovery is still being executed regularly?

Can you clarify what you mean by "standard IP scopes"?

You say that you have created a site called "dummy" - did you mark this as the default sight?  If so, then all newly created devices are supposed to be added to this site automatically - but be careful - if you have not filled out the proper information and associated contacts to the devices, if some problem/failure of a device happens, HPE will not know where to contact someone about the issue.

Help me by responding to these questions - it may be that something is amiss on your site, in which case it would potentially be more effective to open a case with our support team - but let's start here.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
NKretschmar
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your prompt reply, toddG1!

Yes, I was deselecting both options, either to prevent to enable not-configured devices to be actively monitored by HPE support and to avoid devices in the environment not intended to monitor by this instance

[ ] Automatically enable newly discovered devices

[ ] Automatically start discovery every month on day ...

I amended the "default IP scope" from 0.0.0.0 to a fake 192.168.2.0, but unfortunately the system added the default scopes (ipv4 and ipv6) again.

And with all of this, yes, some discovery is still happening. I'm aware that the new (and not automatically enabled) devices are assigned to the mentioned dummy site, but this was also the sense behind. Once the device is fully configured (correct serial and product number, and of course site and owner information) I usually enable this and let pull in the warranty and device inventory.

Thanks and regards,

Nico
toddg1
HPE Pro

Hello,

I am sorry, I am still not understanding what the exact problem is - changing the discovery range from 0.0.0.0 to  172.x still defines a range to be looked at, each time discovery is run - so I am not sure what that problem is.

It sounds like you understand the way that sites work, and are OK with that effort.

What I don't understand is why discoveries are still happening.  And for that, I think it will be very challenging or hard to troubleshoot via this service.

I would recommend that you contact HPE support for HPE Insight Remote Support as they will be able to spend time with you on the phone or even sharing your desktop to assist you with getting this figured out.

Todd

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
NKretschmar
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Hi Todd,

a small update:

First of all, we are on the same page. I was not understanding, why systems appearing all "settings" in IRS don't allow that. Today I got a flash idea, as I mentioned above, the IRS is running on the same system as our SIM instance, and with the knowledge there are systems out where we configured the SIM instance as SNMP trap receiver.

I checked some log files in IRS, and indeed, IRS is listing to SNMP traps as well. So, what I have now, I have a kind of "automated registration" process in IRS, when a system calls for help via a SNMP trap.

Not what I wanted in the beginning, but slowly I find it usefully.

Thank you for brainstorming, and for anybody who is reading the post, IRS is listening for SNMP traps and adds devices automatically if it is not in the IRS database: It makes sense to configure IRS to keep those devices disabled until details like location and contacts are populated properly. And can be used for the HPE support in case of a active incident.

Regards,

Nico

Thanks and regards,

Nico
toddg1
HPE Pro

Ah - OK, I had neglected to think about what you desribe yesterday.

If you configured any TRAP "sender" to send traps to the HP Insight Remote Support, then the behavior coded into I-RS is that if a trap is sent to it, it isn't accidental - must have been on purpose, then I-RS will attempt to discover that device using the appropriate protocol.

This would apply to WMI indications as well - (which would only work if the I-RS had been provided WMI credentials that will allow setup of that device).

Do you think this is not the correct behavior?  The I-RS team was directed to do this - as if the device is "crying for help" - it's nice that we automatically try to serve it - but please let me know if you really dislike this.

Todd

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
toddg1
HPE Pro

One more response.  In the last response, I asked you if you thought this was not the behavior you want, but forgot to put in what to do if you do not want this.

Search the online help for the topic "Disable SNMP automatic discovery"

Where the documentation describes how to stop this from happening.

I also should have double checked before I said "any TRAP sender", it is just for SNMP

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo