cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Small Business Switch 920S

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

HP Small Business Switch 920S

Working with a flat network of 10.0.0./24.  I've assigned the switch a ip address of 10.0.0.4 when ever i try to set the default global gateway of 10.0.0.1 i get an error that the default gateway conflicts with a service port.  When i try to do a default route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 i get an invalid subnet mask.  I'm looking for a way to send unknown traffic to the firewall so it can get out to the internet. When the firewall is plugged in i can ping the inside interface but not the outside. Note this  firewall is configured correctly and works with the old hp switch i am looking to replace. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Small Business Switch 920S

@BSFulbrook wrote: I've assigned the switch a ip address of 10.0.0.4

On what VLAN id? We could presume you're working on default VLAN id 1...can you confirm or not?

If so (but it's also valid for any other VLAN id you have defined on your HPE OfficeConnect 1920S switch) then you have:

1. A switch with VLAN 1 configured with IP address 10.0.0.4/24.
  2. point 1 above enables automatically IP Routing (IIRC) then you need just to configure a Last Resort Route (a static route with destination ANY mask ANY via Next Hop Gateway IP address) pointing to your 10.0.0.1.
  3. Since your router is directly connected on that VLAN id (10.0.0.0/24 subnet) it already knows hosts residing on that VLAN id (no other static route is necessary on its side).
  4. Client's traffic for a Client residing on a VLAN 1 Access port once set with an IP address within 10.0.0.0/24 and using 10.0.0.4 as its default gateway should be redirected (forwarded) through 10.0.0.1 to reach ANY other destination other than 10.0.0.0/24.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I am using Vlan1.. Even when i set the switch default gateway to the 10.0.0.1 It can ping it but can't ping 8.8.8.8. 

When i try the static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 (The way i normally do it for cisco devices). I get the subnet mask is invalid. When i make the mask a /24 i get the same error.  I have a route back from the firewall for traffic destin for the 10.0.0.0 /24 network to go back to 10.0.0.4 (the ip of the switch). Not sure what i'm missing with this as it should be a pretty simple setup

Highlighted
HPE Pro

Hi

I guess the switch model is 1920S.

There is an option to set the Global Default Gateway under 'Routing >>Configuration > Global' which you can try once.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo