LAN Routing
1753767 Members
5627 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Large HP network - all uplinks untagged on VLAN 1?

UselessUser1
Contributor

Large HP network - all uplinks untagged on VLAN 1?

Hi,

A basic question I guess...

We have a large Procurve network spread across multiple buildings, should we be making it so each link from the core to each seperate building is on its own VLAN rather than VLAN 1...

I think currently we have VLAN 1 spanning the entire network simply because it is untagged on all the uplinks right across the network end to end?

I can only find notes about this on CISCO's website which mentions this issue and recommends pruning VLAN 1 off of everything, but cannot find a HP equivalent, all I can find is one document which mentions leaving VLAN 1 untagged on uplinks so that devices can be discovered on their management address if ever plugged in?

3 REPLIES 3
tschaps
Valued Contributor

I think it's safe to say that VLANs are probably a good idea for your situation, but it's hard to determine how necessary they are without more information, such as:
1) how large is a "large Procurve" network (how many devices, how many buildings)?
2) how are the buildings linked to each other?
3) do you have a router at your core?
4) how private is your data? Is there a need to keep different department data private between departments, or just secure from outside users?
5) What type of data traverses your network (only small documents, or video, etc.)?
6) Do you have a secure wireless network?
7) Do you have need for a guest wireless network?
8) Do you have or plan to have VoIP phones?
9) Do you have a building security system or other communications on your LAN?

UselessUser1
Contributor

Hi,

I do have a need for VLAN's, thats what has brought this question about... however its not the actual VLAN's themselves that I am asking about, it is more the actual switch management VLAN I guess.

So if I have Building 1 which goes to Building 2 and Building 3, should the uplinked switches in Buildings 2 and 3 be using VLAN 1 untagged on their uplink ports back to Building 1 (Thus making VLAN 1 stretch to all 3 buldings), or should each link have its own VLAN and subnet, making it a fully layer 3 topology?

ISoliman
Super Advisor

If you have no use for VLAN 1 you can simply remove it from the uplink ports by issuing the commands:

VLAN 1

no untag <uplink port(s)>

but make sure you change your primary VLAN to any other VLAN that is allowed between the switches in the uplink since the switches use by default VLAN 1 to handle the internal services, check the management and configuration guide for more info regarding this to get a full picture.