5306 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN issue with Procurve switches

RThornton
Occasional Advisor

VLAN issue with Procurve switches

Hi,

I have two VLAN's, one for Data(VLAN1) and one for Voice(VLAN2). I have two 8 port managed HP switches and a Sonicwall TZ105. The switch furthest downstream(SW2) has a wireless access point plugged into port 4 which is untagged in VLAN 1 and an IP phone plugged into port 1 which is untagged in VLAN 2. I have a link between port 8 on SW2 and port 8 on SW1. Port 8 is untagged in VLAN 1 and tagged in VLAN 2 on both switches. Port 1 on SW1 also has an IP phone plugged into it and port 1 is untagged in VLAN 2. Port 6 is linked to X0 on the Sonicwall with VLAN1 untagged and VLAN2 tagged. X0 has a subinterface/virtual interface of X0:V02. The IP phone plugged into SW1 works but the one plugged into SW2 does not. I understand this may be an issue in the Sonicwall but I am looking to have someone tell me that I have the switches configured(tagged/untagged) properly. Thank you and let me know if you need more info.

4 REPLIES 4
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Looks fine to me.

Did you perhaps forget to create VLAN2 on Switch#2?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Otherwise you may need to provide more details - where does the phone get its IP address from? Is it getting an IP address? Can it ping its default GW?

(Easiest way to test is to put a laptop in VLAN2 and confirm connectivity before installing any phones on a new switch/VLAN.)

RThornton
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the help. I will try a laptop when I am on site this afternoon. VLAN2 is configured. The phones have static IP's. I'll check back with you this evening. Thanks

RThornton
Occasional Advisor

I figured out the problem this afternoon. I left out the fact that the two switches are linked by a wireless bridge using two Engenius access points. I had one ap setup in ap mode and the other as an access point client. The tagged traffic won't pass over the bridge in this configuration. You have to use a WDS link. I knew this because I have run into this issue before but didn't make notes of it at the time. Thank you again for taking the time to help with this issue.