New Discussion

VRRP logs: 00783 vrrp: AM1: Pkt recd on a non-VRRP Vlan with vid XX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Renata_Petras
Occasional Advisor

VRRP logs: 00783 vrrp: AM1: Pkt recd on a non-VRRP Vlan with vid XX

Hello,

I see this warning all the time in the switch's logs "00783 vrrp: AM1: Pkt recd on a non-VRRP Vlan with vid xx", this is because we have switches which do not participate in the vrrp vrid, but are tagged in a vlan where VRRP is configured.. in order to get rid of this messages I wanted to configure VRRP authentication on all switches, so this kind of packets would get dropped and not logged... we have 5400 switches and I would really need to know the command for configuring authentication... I found a lot of different configuration examples, but they do not seem to be present on 5400 with firmware version K.15.18.0007

please help! thanks very much in advance!!

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VRRP logs: 00783 vrrp: AM1: Pkt recd on a non-VRRP Vlan with vid XX

Not really an expert on VRRP but...since the "Pkt recd on a non-VRRP Vlan with vid <vid-#>" Event Log message means exactly that "A VRRP packet was received on a VLAN that does not have any VRs. This could possibly be a result of misconfiguration of VRs on VLANs."...wouldn't be a valid alternative solution/workaround the one that disables those Event Log messages (on Switch units that don't partecipate on the VRRP) as was explained here instead?

Otherwise the probable misconfiguration of VRs on VLANs should be corrected.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Are you getting this on your management VLAN?

Generally, the only switches with IP addresses in a VLAN that is running VRRP should be those switches that participate in VRRP - all others should be Layer2 switches.

Maybe if we could see your core and access switch configs....?

Renata_Petras
Occasional Advisor

Hi, yes the reason why I am seeing this errors is because not all of our layer 3 switches participate in all VRRP groups.. this has to be per our network design.. So I will try to just disable this error messages

thanks!

cheers

Renata_Petras
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

this was exactly what I was looking for (disable the messages), I"ll try it right away, thanks very much!

Cheers